5.0 tpi/700r4 swap

heavychevy09

Daily Driver
Feb 23, 2009
green bay, wi
ive been contemplating this swap since i bought my malibu almost 2 months ago. i was big into fbodys before buying the malibu. currently im running a carbed 350/th350, electronic mallory fuel pump, fpr mounted under the hood.

now ive got my eye on an 86 305 tpi/700r4 setup. complete wiring harness, computer, serpentine setup, fans, even has a g-body cross member for the 700r4.

ive got a few questions though
i need to swap the fuel pump correct?
will the headers i have now swap no problem?

the driveshaft needs to be shortened about 3" from what ive read. i know im missing some things so any help would be great. ive done a few engine swaps, but never a trans swap or never carb to EFI swap.

skostur79

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2006
ne ohio
most likely the carb fuel pump wont be rated for the higher pressures
but you can check the specs,

you need to add a return line to tank ,

headers should work,

if the harness is complete , its easly adaptable with a wiring scematic

i was able to find a s10 drive shaft at the pull a part for my swap

just take a tape measure with ya

hope this helps ya

heavychevy09

Daily Driver
Feb 23, 2009
green bay, wi
yea i'm not sure of the specs on the fuel pump, was in the car when i bought it but its easily accessible so ill have to check that out. do you know off hand how much pressure i'll need?

return line to the tank, easily done to a stock fuel tank?

as far as adapting the wiring harness goes...im not sure if its the full car harness(doubt it) or just the engine harness. as far as the throttle cable goes, know if that'll be reusable?

i found a good deal on an 8.5" ten bolt ill hopefully be able to pick up so that mean an even shorter driveshaft needed.

definitely helpful, cant wait to start pulling the engine out tomorrow to make room for the new setup.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Sorry, my morals are making me do this.

Why not an LSX swap? Half the trouble is plumbing the fuel system which you'd have to do anyway. A 5.3 can be had for cheap complete and is twice the motor the 5.0 is.

heavychevy09

Daily Driver
Feb 23, 2009
green bay, wi
because this swap will be cheap. trading my current engine and trans for the 5.0/700r4 setup. right now i dont have the funds to do an lsx swap, and as i stated in my first post, this is my first carb-efi swap so i dont want to just into too big of a project my first time

skostur79

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2006
ne ohio
35-45 psi is specs, i used a inline walbro pump

the is a restricter in the vapor line i used that

as return , and a vented gas cap

works ok for a stock sending unit ,

harness can be adapted , it all depends what gauges you run,

more powers and grounds for pcm

good luck

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
heavychevy09 said:
because this swap will be cheap. trading my current engine and trans for the 5.0/700r4 setup. right now i dont have the funds to do an lsx swap, and as i stated in my first post, this is my first carb-efi swap so i dont want to just into too big of a project my first time
Fair enough. Good luck with the swap.

injected

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2006
Quebec , Canada
388bu said:
Sorry, my morals are making me do this.

Why not an LSX swap? Half the trouble is plumbing the fuel system which you'd have to do anyway. A 5.3 can be had for cheap complete and is twice the motor the 5.0 is.
X2 more power !!!!!! :twisted:

heavychevy09

Daily Driver
Feb 23, 2009
green bay, wi
well, ive thought about it a little more and think im going to hold off on the efi swap, but still want to swap to a 700r4 so ill have an overdrive. know if one from a 3rd gen will bolt up to the engine no problem?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Yep, bellhousing is the same, BUT you'll need to shorten the driveshaft, make/buy a new crossmember, and figure out/wire up a switch for the torque converter lock up.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts