4 speed question.

1980mailbuwagon

Weekend Racer
Jan 3, 2011
Winnipeg,Manitoba, Canada
I have a 3 speed standard v6 car that i bought as a parts car. It is complete. if i do the swap Can i bolt a 4 speed M21 right up in there using evrything from the 3 speed swap, crossmember and linkages? Any pointers on doing the swap??? any hints that will make it go more smothly. Anyone interested in the 3 speed trans ???? are the bell housing from the v6 same as v8? will the 3 speed bolt up to the v8 if i decied to keep the 3 speed Thanks

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
Which V6 do you have? If it's the Chevy 229 then it will work. If it's the Buick 231 then the parts are going to be different.

oldtinsmith

Dragway Regular
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Keep the manual trans. steering column, it's got the starter interlock (I think that's what it's called) next to the key! This lever must be pushed to be able to start the engine with the original wiring (my 80 el Camino with the factory manual trans. has it!).

Doug

1980mailbuwagon

Weekend Racer
Jan 3, 2011
it's a 81 malibu 4 door v6 3 speed. bought a few years ago haven't ever spent alot of time looking under the hood on it. bought it 3 years ago for the swap parts never had a car to swap untill last year.i know it's a 3.8 but thats a good question on which one. I will look tomorrow , so if it is the chevy motor the 229, the 3 speed and bell housing will bolt up?

Thanks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IIRC, the 229 was still the standard 3.8 in 81 & the Buick 231 was a Cali only engine until 82.

Tommy

1980mailbuwagon

Weekend Racer
Jan 3, 2011
quick update on my 3 speed car. Went out to my parents to get to see if it had the 229 v6. and it does. But Someone was nice enough to help themself to all my parts :( little bastards took everything. transmission, column, 200 khm cluster!!! everything. Had a mint dash that they stabbed with a screw drivers 50 times. so i guess that means back to the drawing board. Looks like i'm going to the good old turbo 350

Thanks for all your guys help but this one is dead

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
any thoughts on who?

a window of time for when?

have you looked to see if the parts are for sale somewhere?

does someone have a newly converted stick car in the area?

I would be more than steaming.

1980mailbuwagon

Weekend Racer
Jan 3, 2011
the biggest thing i am pissed about is the dash and they took my 200 kph cluster!!!! oh well can't do anything about it . they would have done in the last 2 weeks.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts