4-speed or 5-speed question

rob.c1989

Amateur Racer
Dec 5, 2011
Thomasville, GA
i was thinking about converting from auto to manual. what would be better, 4-speed manual? or 5-speed manual? what transmission should i use? what vehicle could i get one from? it would be for street use.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It depends on your intended use, rear gearing & engine combo. A big block with a lot of torque doesn't necessarily "need" the extra ratios that a 5 speed has. A 5 speed will get better mileage than a 4 speed IF it's an overdrive trans. A straight 5 speed won't offer any advantage in mileage, but would be better with numerically lower rear gears or with a smaller engine that likes to rev more.

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
For a driver imo you can "get by" with a 3.50:1 1st gear Saginaw and 2.29 gear... you can use a stock TH350 driveshaft and crossmember, just have to mount the linkage/pedals and cut a hole for the shifter. That would be a good cruising ratio, and will be geared similar to a 2004R with 3.42 gears. So long as you don't beat on the trans (power shifts, clutch dumps, etc.) it should hold up fine.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
No, that T5 will have a 4.03:1 first gear and is weaker than the Saginaw. To use a 1993 and later T5, you will also need to find a bellhousing that bolts to a Chevrolet engine but has a Ford T5 mounting face. The only one I know of is from a 4-cylinder Jeep. You may also need to cut down the pilot on the input shaft as it will be too long.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts