Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Electrical/Wiring Technical

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:06 am 
Weekend Racer

Has anyone here ever tried installing a third brake/taillight socket and bulb in between the existing 2 brake/taillight sockets and bulbs in the '81-'83 Malibu taillight assemblies? I thinking about a slightly different look, without spending alot of money. Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:20 pm 
Amateur Racer

What about the turn signals?

I'd go right to the brake light switch above the pedal and tie into the brake light wire and run it back just for the 3rd brake light. Trust me, it sounds like a lot of work but it's the way to go.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:53 pm 
Top Fueler

Going to do it with LED panels sometime in the near future. Just one of those 'when i get to it' things.

Undergoing Toyota aluminum 4L V8 swap

Past Malibus,
-79 Malibu 4dr
-79 Malibu 2dr
-80 Malibu 4dr
-79 Malibu 4dr
-83 Malibu 4dr

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:34 pm 
Weekend Racer

Thanks very much for your replies.
t01blaze, what I was thinking about was trying to splice in a third functioning taillight/brakelight/turn signal socket, in between the 2 existing taillight/brakelight/turn signal sockets, then cutting an opening in the back of the tailight housing, in between the 2 existing openings, and plugging that third socket into the new opening, so that instead of having just 2 tailight/brakelight/signal lights in each taillight assembly, you'd have 3. Another idea I have, is to put a third light there, but instead of having it as a brake & signal light, it would be just a running light, with the small peanut (#194) light bulb in it, and just splice it into the existing side marker light wiring that's already there.
As I said, just trying to think of something that's a bit different, without the expense of going with LEDs.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:47 pm 
Amateur Racer

clean8485 wrote:
Thanks very much for your replies.
t01blaze, what I was thinking about was trying to splice in a third functioning taillight/brakelight/turn signal socket, in between the 2 existing taillight/brakelight/turn signal sockets, then cutting an opening in the back of the tailight housing, in between the 2 existing openings, and plugging that third socket into the new opening, so that instead of having just 2 tailight/brakelight/signal lights in each taillight assembly, you'd have 3. Another idea I have, is to put a third light there, but instead of having it as a brake & signal light, it would be just a running light, with the small peanut (#194) light bulb in it, and just splice it into the existing side marker light wiring that's already there.
As I said, just trying to think of something that's a bit different, without the expense of going with LEDs.

I understand. Get all 3 tail light segments lit up. How about some sequential turn signals?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:27 pm 
Weekend Racer

I understand what you're saying. I had a similiar thought, but I'm not sure how that could be done with the regular incandescent bulbs. What I was thinking about was trying to get 3 lights showing in the taillight housing first. As far as I know, or as I've seen, the sequential light conversion is easier to accomplish with LEDs. I appreciate your idea.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:53 am 
MalibuRacing Junkie

1970 Cougars and Shelby Mustangs had sequential tail lamps for turn signals. The brake lamps came on steady.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:46 am 
Weekend Racer

Cougars had the sequential turn signals prior to 1970. They were also used on mid '60s Thunderbirds as well. I vaguely remember the setup that Ford used on those cars as being somewhat unreliable and problematic. As I said, I'd like to try to get 3 working lights in the housing first.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:56 pm 
Frequent Racer

I have a functioning third brake light on my 81 malibu all I did was get a taillight wiring harness from a 85-88 monte carlo that had a third brake light setup and plug everything in.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:07 am 
MalibuRacing Junkie

On '80 the center is the reverse lights. We can't do the cool upgrade...

Stumbled across these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEILyn3BjZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Xw1e_9IsA

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Board index » TECHNICAL » Electrical/Wiring Technical