Wow... Can't get rear shocks out...

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
I know I sound stupid but this is the first time I've tried to replace a shock. It seems as if this is the original shock that came with the car because the bolts are rusted to crap.

Basically, how am I supposed to remove the two upper mounting bolts. Is there a trick to getting the bolt from not spinning, I can barely reach up there.

Thanks.

slim69

Amateur Racer
Mar 7, 2009
Henderson, ky
i take the bottom bolt out first so i can move the shock over ive seen some that have nuts on the other side instead of the clips and that does make it a pain :x

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Wrench on top and an impact on bottom... The will either break or loosen up! Vice grips on top work too.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Do you know what size up top is. I cant get anything up there and its so rusted I cant tell what size.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Thinking they should be a 13mm just try using an 11 or 12 and put something like a socket behind it between the wrench and the trunk shelf and force the box end down around the nut... If its the clip style that wont help you!

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
I know when I did mine for the forst time I had to cold chisle the top bolts off on both sides

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
i used a sawzal to cut the head off the bolt, replaced with new one's,, my buddy's monte body mounts where shot so we had to pry the body up some just to get to the bolts..i know of a guy who cut throu the trunk,(he was a retard)any way good luck

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts