Which filler?

81Regal

Top Fueler
Jul 7, 2003
NW Iowa
I pulled the landau roof off my Cutlass and noticed that the original filler is cracking and generally in poor shape. Removed the filler, metal under it looks good, checking which would be better to refill the body seam, Rage/Rage Gold or Allmetal/Metal 2 metal?
I know the factory used a solder type filler for a plain roof. I'm not putting the landau fabric back on.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
personally on any seam that is not welded solid (my roof seams weren't) and could see a lot of moisture I'd use a base layer of kitty hair type fiberglass and then use a normal filler like rage over the top of it.....the allmetal is closer to a fiberglass style material but it does still contain talc like a regular filler so it will absorb moisture just not quite as well as polyester fillers.... no matter what the advertisements say ;)

honestly you won't get much moisture from the inside of your car so you'd be fine with just rage imo

81Regal

Top Fueler
Jul 7, 2003
NW Iowa
Thanks, the main thing I was concerned about was the filler cracking again but you do bring up a good point with moisture on both sides of the filler.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
I would either weld it, and use rage to level the seam, or lead it. I don't like the idea of using plastic on an unwelded seam that could possibly flex and crack. I also try not to use plastic in any situation where there will be exposed filler, even if it is on the inside of the car. It may be fine forever, or you may be repainting in a few years. It would be one thing in a production shop, but when it comes to my own car, I'd rather not take the chance.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts