Wheelie Bar Tuning

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
I know that there are very few cars with wheelie bars on here, but I thought I would try and get a discussion going about wheelie bar tuning. The Vega that I drive has short wheelie bars that are spring loaded. They are actually bent up and really look like crap, but they are getting the job done right now.

Can someone possibly explain the advantages of the different styles of wheelie bars? Sprung vs Unsprung, different lengths, driving the car with the wheelie bar setup etc.

I have learned a little with the Vega since it gets up on the wheelie bars and rides on them for about 60 feet. If I try to get into the second stage while up on the wheelie bars, the car will turn to the right, but on ones stage it goes perfectly straight with high 1.20 60fts. Typically I get on the second stage when I feel the front end hit the ground again. I would like to get the wheelie bar tuning figured out and be able to get on the second stage shortly after launch and know that the car will go straight.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

before we get to the wheelie bars....What is the suspension? sounds to me like your trying to use 1 instant center for 3 different horsepower levels. You need to get the suspension right first instead of using the wheelie bars for a bandaid.

A

Anonymous

Its a ladder bar car, lol, so yes there is only one instant center location. They are set in the lowest hole right now, I will measure that location for you today.

A

Anonymous

I would generally recommend for you to lower the bar because most of the time this will take hit out of it. If I had to guess the car probably is a little high in the back. Make sure the pinion angle is -2.

A

Anonymous

The ladder bars are currently set at the lowest hole possible in the front. From the center of the rear axle to the front mounting point is 33" and is 6.5" off of the ground. Pinion angle is set at -2 already. The ladder bars are some killer ones that Mike @ TRZ made for me. The car does sit a little high, but if I go any lower it will rub the tires on the top of the wheel tubs.

DaveC

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Southern MN
scanlargeql7.jpg

Here's some info from another site. It isn't everything your looking for but it might help. It's from http://www.crazyspeed.com/crazyspeed/home.nsf/crazyspeed/MessageBoard?OpenDocument

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Posted again without being logged in :(

I have been doing about what that post said to do. Adjusting the right bar to drive the car left or right and them both if I want to adjust the height of the wheelie.

Thanks again for that info. The only info I really need now is the advantages of solid bars vs sprung bars.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I'd also like to know the advantages (if any) of using a single wheelie bar.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts