What year Monte fuel tank do I need?

t72ss402

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2007
Springfield, MO
I am collecting the parts needed to place my LS6 into my 79 Malibu, I am needing to know what year of fuel tank that has the intake fuel pump.

Any part numbers would be great.

Thanks Tim.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I got one for a 87 Monte Carlo with 4.3L TBI. You may want to look at modifying an aftermarket tank. Apparently they all have some type of design flaw that causes vent problems while filling with gas. I wished I had known this, because my son's Malibu will literally spit gas out the filler if you fill too fast.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Is the issue due to the baffling in the tank? I believe the baffling is what makes the tank different than a non-FI tank.

An El Camino tank is different than the Monte Carlo tank.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
No, the baffling is not the problem. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, because they look the same externally. I'm wondering if the filler neck goes into the tank further on the aftermarket tanks, which cause a vent problem during fill-up? I know that I've read MANY people complain about having fill problems with these aftermarket tanks.

It's not because the fuel nozzle is in too far like someone said on the other thread. We've tried all different angles and just barely inserted into the fuel filler. Like, I said, it will spit fuel 2-3 feet out of the filler if you attempt to put fuel in at full speed.

I even dropped the tank to make sure the vent line wasn't bent or kinked. I believe there is a design flaw in the aftermarket tanks. I'd suggest trying to find an OEM from a TBI Monte Carlo or Buick GN. Or, take the aftermarket tank to a welder or radiator shop to have them install a vent setup like samh_08 did (or do it yourself). Just be sure to modify it before you ever put fuel in it. I know, that's a no-brainer...

Go here to see how I did mine: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=100893

dynodanmanda79

Weekend Racer
Dec 9, 2007
Crestview, FL.
I was looking at some G-body swaps on LS1tech and I think this guy found the problem with the aftermarket tanks not venting correctly (read post #26):

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1386312-mervs-1984-monte-carlo-ss-2.html

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!