What about e85 and injection?

JP86SS

Amateur Racer
Sep 26, 2004
N.E. Ohio
www.wideopenwest.com
eldabo said:
... My reason is that there are a lot of companys out there that have done the reserch To know what works and what dosn't.
The hardware is rarely the problem unless you chance used parts or something.
They will all work, just depends how much you know about what is not working correctly or to its potential.
Tuning is where the "works or doesn't" comes into play.
You can buy a $3000 ECU and still run like crap if you don't understand how it EXACTLY works.
Some do make it easy to plug-n-play but of course that costs more or you can take it somewhere and have them enter the numbers for you.
There are always driveability issues etc that only you can tune for.
I run GM ECM and have my struggles learning it for the past several years. Its no 10 sec ride but it runs good and clean.
what ever you end up going with, learn about how it all functions together.
Putting a bunch of parts on, wiring them together and hoping for the best does not work with FI.
It will be up to you in the end to make it run right.
Jp

You should be able to change parameters to compensate for E85. In the GM stuff you can but I don't know how well the aftermarket units handle it.

eldabo

Pro Stocker
Aug 10, 2006
Mobile,Alabama
That's right .I still need to study up on the way to program it . I was thinking that it would take a bigger injector becouse the need for 30%more fuel for the same hp.Say if you had a 36hr injector thats good for 500 hp on gas .I would need 50hr to do the same with e85.

Jackstand

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 6, 2003
KANSAS CITY, MO
like some have said megasquirt is a great way to learn efi if your somewhat electronic savy. I would suggest converting you current n/a motor before doing a forced induction motor, while its still easy to hurt the motor n/a not as easy with a FI setup.

eldabo

Pro Stocker
Aug 10, 2006
Mobile,Alabama
Im not that savy. That is my very next big plan for the car(EFI) There is a guy at the speed shop that has a EFI manifold,throtle body and injector rails with injectors 78 pounders I think. He will take $650.00 for it .Then all i would need is the harness and computer???? Does that sound way off base.

eldabo

Pro Stocker
Aug 10, 2006
Mobile,Alabama
That number was just used for example. Im not sure what I would need . I was just thinking bigger . With the 78s i guess it would be to fat ?

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
The open time would have to be so short that it is hard to control. This can be helped with low-impedance injectors but you have to be careful not to put to much current to them and burn them up. High impedance are much harder to hurt.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
I have no problem hitting my target AFR of 14.7 on a 383 with 73lb/hr high impedance injectors, and this is using an older Commander 950. Any newer EMS should have no problem handling a medium-large injector at idle - 73's aren't even considered large anymore, even in high impedance.

Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts