VOLTAGE LEAK HELP!!!!

r8edx2000

Daily Driver
Jan 19, 2008
san francisco
my problem is that i installed power windows and door locks into my 79 malibu and now the baterry goes dead if i dont drive it for a while. never did that before! i have a aux fuse block to run the pwr locks and windows every thing is fused. i the only place i spliced into is a always on for the pwr locks and another splice for the relay for the pwr windows on a ign on source. i have everything wired but not completed just need to put the door panels on and swithches. CAN NOT HAVING THE SWITHES ON THE WIRES DRAIN THE BATTERY? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
No. I'm glad I didn't reply last night because I was super tired and missed the part about not having the switches hooked up. That was going to be my first suggestion, but if the switches aren't hooked up (and everything is hooked up correctly) then there shouldn't be any drain at all from anything you just installed. I'm going to make the simplest suggestion first, have the battery and alternator tested, and go from there. My aunt just had the battery replaced in her '04 Rendezvous, the battery had a bad cell, because sometimes it acted like the battery was dead, other times it would turn over just fine and fire right up.

If the alternator and battery check out, I'll ask this: do you have any other accessories that are hooked up that use a constant source (radio with memory, other electronics, etc.)?

r8edx2000

Daily Driver
Jan 19, 2008
san francisco
the battery is like a 1 1/2yrs old. i dont have anything else hooked up the radio is not even in the car. no alarm. thanks

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
A simple way to test for circuit battery drain is to disconnect the negative battery cable. Hook up a 12volt test light between the negative cable and the negative battery post. If there is a voltage drain, the test light will light. If it is lit, start removing fuses and or relays until the light goes out. The circuit that fuse of relay is associated with, will be the culprit. Remember, an open door will light the light if the curtesy light fuse is still installed. May have to remove it before you start.

Hope this helps,
Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts