Vibration / Rear Main Seal leak on brand new engine.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I want to say the engine was relatively cold. Yeah I know I need a gauge, the one I have is mechanical and when i was putting it in the little line kinked so I took it all out. Plus I dont like the idea of the headers melting the oil-line and causing a leak. I'll get an electrical one, just havent had the time.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
Get rid of the plastic tube they send you with the gauge and go to your local parts store and get some copper tubing..much better and less likely to crack, melt or break.. 1/8" tubing..they usually have it in the HELP parts section

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I always run mechanical oil pressure gauges. But I also spend a few extra dollars and use Aeroquip braided lines to them. Just my personal preference though. Lee

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
Yes the copper hooks up the same way the plastic did. New ferrels(sp) should come in the kit with the copper tube.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Okay so get ready for this....
I finally get my engine back and spent all weekend putting it in. I break in the cam properly etc etc. The engine seemed to be running fine considering the timing isnt really tweaked or anything like that. I go for a test drive and about 10 miles into it I hear what sounds like a small exhaust leak from the header, varying with rpm and what not. My header gaskets blow out all the time so I think nothing of it. Another 5 miles down the road and the sound has gotten REALLY loud, and it actually sounds metallic, like two metal pieces are colliding repeatedly. The engine starts to stall so I pull off the road. I got the car back home to my garage and start pulling off the valve covers thinking it dropped a valve. All the valves are in place. I can't pinpoint the noise and the engine runs really sluggish and the noise is LOUD. Like with the rhythm of an exhaust leak but with a clank to it.

Upon installation of the headers I noticed there is not much clearance between the slave cylinder mounting flange and the header. It makes a loud clanking noise if you tap on it with the palm of your hand but it didn't make any noise on its own during warm-up or during test driving. To me it seems like this is a possibility for the noise source but the motor would have to be rocking very sharply and very hard for that to be the case. otherwise, I have some serious internal damage again. What steps should I take to pin point the issue? I drained some oil and it looked fairly normal. Pulling the pan is next but I have to wait until the weekend when I have time.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts