Upcoming LSx swapped 83 Malibu wagon

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
"they've got a bunch of guys running low 11's high 10's with this engine and some minor upgrades, ie heads and cam and computer reprogram."

It should run that with a cam and small shot.

Id would say the 4core is overkill, just run a stock replacement plastic tank rad.

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
Jordan81 said:
if your trying to keep somewhat of a budget, an 8.8 from a fox body wouldn't be a bad idea either...

I have considered the 8.8 but have yet to see any positive results other than it being installed.... I also don't understand why the swap arms are $600ish from trz plus the cost of the 8.8. that money could be spent on a 9" that is proven to work.
blubaldmontess said:
If your going to get a transmission, may I suggest the 4l80 instead of 60. I say this because they are not that much more, but I've seen people running in the 10's on them stock.

I am sticking with the 4l60 because of the 3.06 first gear. I am most likely going to run a 3.42/3.55 gear. The goal of the car is to be a street car first with a decent RPM at highway speeds as I am only going to run a 26" tire.

the 3.06 first will help with launches while keeping streetability good.
blubaldmontess said:
Is the engine DBW or drive by cable? I talked with jesse at Wait4me, as long as you have all your ducks in a row before sending off the harness, you'll get a lot more power than you bargained for.

The engine is cable TB. I don't have a harness yet and am looking into either getting a stocker to be worked over or buy a complete from ls1wiringharness.com
blubaldmontess said:
The engine mounts, can I ask why your not running the BRP swap kit? Just wondering and not prying. It will allow you to keep the a/c pump in the same place, though it may sit the engine a little high for a stock hood w/o some trimming. I wasn't as worried about this as I have the 3" cowl already.

I can think of a lot better things to spend $469 on then a pair of engine mounts and a piece of metal for a crossmember. Not only that as far as I know it will NOT fit the stock hood with a truck intake. I am keeping the stock hood
blubaldmontess said:
Gauges are easy to keep stock, and you can get the adapter from dakota digital and they're really not that expensive, I believe the one for the speedometer was only about 45 bucks.
I haven't spent any time looking into what this is going to take. I will go this route as I would like to keep stock looking gauges.

If not I will get the Nordskog digital dash for the car.
blubaldmontess said:
For alot of good info on what to do with the motor for more power, well always the l92 heads, again talk to brp they know a guy who gets em at a really good price :O but on performancetrucks.net they've got a bunch of guys running low 11's high 10's with this engine and some minor upgrades, ie heads and cam and computer reprogram.

I am probably going to put on L92 heads along with a new intake but that will be later on.
455_82malibu said:
"Id would say the 4core is overkill, just run a stock replacement plastic tank rad.

Thanks for the info. If a stocker will keep the engine cool then I am all for running it.

andrewmrchevy

Daily Driver
Jan 6, 2011
Seoul, Korea
Check out my other post but you can modify your 4L60E and run the factory speedo. Additionally a 94 Chevy Astro fuel pump sender unit will fit and function in your stock fuel tank. You only need to remove the tabs and rotate the sender into the right position. You can upgrade the fuel pump to meet your fuel pressure needs.

My ID is Andrewmrchevy

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
subscribed. good luck.

WDODGER

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2007
Cape Coral FL
Im also doing a lq4 but with a s475 turbo in my 79 wagon . good luck on the build

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
Copycat!!!! My 83 wagon has 63,000 miles and is the same color as yours too..oh and has an ls engine as well! Good luck with the build, there's a ton of info on the board. Nick

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts