Turbo or Supercharger?

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
Car is doing good, thanks for asking.

I have been on 6-12 hour shifts (Mon-Sat) every week since May with a project. No time for race cars or internet.

Haven't run other than a couple test passes since that first race when it went 5.0's. I'm struggling with the 325's in the heat. If I pull enough power out it still spins because this nose heavy pig can't get back on the tire. If I walk it in slowly I watch every body drive away. I may need a looser converter for the heat but I'm going to try and find a way to make it work without a converter swap if I can. It did make 1 good pass at the Nashville race without tire spin. I threw the travel limiters in the trailer and it got up on the tire but it was a wild ride because it stood up 2-3 times going down the track. I put the limiters back on when I ran Pooch but it went to spinning again. Didn't have enough track to run him down, his 136 to my 142. It was so close we didn't know who won until we got back to the time shack.

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
DB said:
Car is doing good, thanks for asking.

I have been on 6-12 hour shifts (Mon-Sat) every week since May with a project. No time for race cars or internet.

Haven't run other than a couple test passes since that first race when it went 5.0's. I'm struggling with the 325's in the heat. If I pull enough power out it still spins because this nose heavy pig can't get back on the tire. If I walk it in slowly I watch every body drive away. I may need a looser converter for the heat but I'm going to try and find a way to make it work without a converter swap if I can. It did make 1 good pass at the Nashville race without tire spin. I threw the travel limiters in the trailer and it got up on the tire but it was a wild ride because it stood up 2-3 times going down the track. I put the limiters back on when I ran Pooch but it went to spinning again. Didn't have enough track to run him down, his 136 to my 142. It was so close we didn't know who won until we got back to the time shack.

Always loved your car...

Understand the crazy work schedule. I ended up selling my Nova because I was working too much and never saw it :(

Hope you get it sorted out.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
For those that hadnt heard yet, Will went 7.46 @ 191 at SGMP testing earlier tonight. The track was decent (but not as good as it will be tomorrow) and this is still with the blow through, which we kinda think may be holding it back a little on the top end (everyone else who has run in the .40s has been 196+ mph).

bdi

Amateur Racer
Mar 6, 2007
atwood....ky
Re:

Bigtime said:
Build a 350 with nos you will be happy and save some money.

a new 330 horse crate motor with a cam/spring change would get ya pretty decent hp....a small shot of juice wouldn't kill it...

i gathered up some parts to build a small procharger motor...dish pistons , blower cam , late model truck heads ...on paper with 6 to 8 pounds it made around 450hp...a 383 with some vortecs and a decent cam , forged pistons and such would make good power n/a on the street...throw on a 150 or so shot , and it would probably put ya in the 11's pretty easy..... ..brandon

A

Anonymous

Wow what a post, I couldn't even read some of the posts, just makes me laugh, here is what I would do, I'm no expert but here goes.
I would build a big block , stock bottom end with some headwork and a carb n/a for way under $4k and get used parts off of racing junk. But if you are handy with fabricating a turbo'd small block would be fun, again you can get on racing junk/ebay etc to find good used parts but shop smart as there are idiots that sell junk, buy a good single turbo not a cheap one for $200 like some say, around $1000, some vortech heads, build your headers with a ''build your own header kit'' , a blow thru carb, again there's tons of used ones for sale, buy some pre bent tubes for your turbo piping, and a little know how and patience and it could be done really cheap and be a quality setup, its just if you have the resources/tools/knowhow to do it, if you paid somebody to do it the price would triple as they would buy a kit and also charge they're high dollar labor. A naturally aspirated 500hp 350 is not going to be very friendly on the street and if you try to build it cheap it will not last and you would be wasting your money. On the nitrous I have seen to many people try to build these cheap and expect them to last and scratch there head when they lift the ring lands on there pistons or grenade the whole engine, nitrous isn't an easy hp upgrade as you think if you want this car to last. Enough with my long winded post in this long *ss topic, I am almost positive that everybody would agree that a big block would be the cheapest and most reliable horsepower setup you could build if your shooting for 500hp, hands down, I know the big block weighs a little more but on a budget and in a street car, I think that is your only option, I'm sure some will disagree, mostly the ones that are posting those piece of sh*t $300 turbo kits and telling you to put a ****ing fogger on a 283 but 2 each there own I guess. And for the people telling you to put a 200 shot on a 350 have probably never done it before, I have yet to see a ''cheap'' 350 handle that on a regular basis, a lot of people don't think that's a lot of spray because they looked in a summit book once a saw a 500hp fogger ( which made there thingy tingle and thought to themselve, I can put that on my 84 z-28 and have 700hp!!) I'm just saying if you do not have a lot of first hand expierience steer clear of the spray, or not so you can put on a nice fire show at the track for the spectators, but for the guys that do have expierience with the spray they can make sh*t fly and do it day in and day out but it takes more than a wrench and a few but connectors to make spray work reliably.

A

Anonymous

In fact I didn't give the nitrous guys enough credit as they have to be tuning magicians to get 2-3 or even 4 different nitrous kits to work in harmony with each other at different rpms, along with timing advancing and retarding at different rpms, having a million different jets to change, progressive nitrous controllers, etc, that's some amazing sh*t and I know I couldn't do it. And a lot of those guys also have ignitions where they can change the timing for each individual cylinders, that's a lot of sh*t to master.

A

Anonymous

Bigtime said:
no special rules just reality. If you race me, you run your car with a trans brake, i get the leave and you chase....I will sit there till your converter melts then i will leave, got it? by the way my little 23* 355 and d1 went 1.35 60' from a dead idle.
So you still won't agree with every turbo there is lag? Lets talk some more about turbos and lag. My Stock Typhoon runs 1.68 60' after sitting there for a minute, now off idle and no power brake it runs a 2.50 60' is that not lag? I'm really tired of this no lag/free horsepower when in fact nothing is free. Turbos are the easiest money maker out there for shops like mine because we can build them, tune them and ship them I just don't buy into this instant power stuff. Dual rear calipers? they are used for light cars that make big power, if not the car will just push thru the brakes on the first step. There are a lot of people using them if you look in the wheels. How about automatic transmissions? I have made numerous cold water trans coolers why? because you need to sit on the converter so long. and last but not least, Why won't turbo cars stage first aginst nos or blower cars?

A 1.38 60 foot off of idle with a procharged 355?? What about full boost on a brake? Is it like .50? I guess I better start leaving off idle!!

A

Anonymous

Re: Re:

bdi said:
Bigtime said:
Build a 350 with nos you will be happy and save some money.

a new 330 horse crate motor with a cam/spring change would get ya pretty decent hp....a small shot of juice wouldn't kill it...

i gathered up some parts to build a small procharger motor...dish pistons , blower cam , late model truck heads ...on paper with 6 to 8 pounds it made around 450hp...a 383 with some vortecs and a decent cam , forged pistons and such would make good power n/a on the street...throw on a 150 or so shot , and it would probably put ya in the 11's pretty easy..... ..brandon
#1 how the **** can you build a ''small'' procharged small block for $4000? I don't care how small

#2 how the **** can you buy a 330 horse crate motor and dump even more money in it and get 500hp out of it for $4000? A turn key gm 350 h.o. Is $4700 and if you think about putting spray on that shitty bottom end I got news for ya, or how about a blueprint brand engine that is even a bigger piece of sh*t, 355 with 385 horse for $4900 turn key? Also it has those fancy hyperneutic pistons that love a 150 shot on them ROFL!! Everybody is off topic, HOW TO GET 500 HORSEPOWER ON THE STREET FOR UNDER $4000 RELIABLY, if you only wanted 500 hp why the **** would you boost it? Seriously, just a junkyard 350 rebuild and a few performance parts parts will cost ya $2500 and that's conservative so how will you get a procharger for $1500? Santa? And also if you have a small block what are you going to tune it so it only pushes 2 pounds of boost to up the hp to 500? That 100 horse just cost you $3 or $4k? Also you can't just ''throw'' a procharger on your stock engine and expect it to last, yea you see these brand new cars with supercharger kits but they are only running 6psi at best , and those kits are $4-$6000 for a 100 horse? Too many people here chiming in with little/no knowledge and are just making this guy even more confused than he was before he asked, this forum is here to discuss, ask questions, and to learn what to do and how to do it right the first time, he asked for help let's give it to him not tell him to build a ****ing tim lynch motor, I mean come on there's a big difference in a $4000 budget and tim lynch's budget of $999,999,999 and that's just for monday

A

Anonymous

And for the guy with the audi, what if anything on this whole site pertains to an audi?? Did phil change the site to audi racing.com? Take it to the off topic board, Do you own a bu? A g-body? Or even a chevy? Don't worry I have more!!

A

Anonymous

Re:

ChrisIDV said:
I wouldn't be afraid to put a Scat cast crank in a mild turbo motor. You can get a set of forged rods for about 200 bucks and the pistons will be about 500. Pick a decent set of heads. You can get pipe from a diesel shop. For headers, either go with a Hedman weld up kit or just flip a set of shorties. Go with a 650 Holley DP. Get a knockoff wastegate and bov off ebay. As far a carb hat, you can buy a cheap one from pepboys or on ebay or you could just go with an EV hat. Do your research and you wont have to spend more then 4k to build it.

Be sure to check out http://www.turbomustangs.com.

There's no way you could build that right for $4000, machine work alone for that engine if done right by a reputible shop would be $800-$1200 not to mention a rebuild kit , a good set of rings, head gaskets that will withstand the boost, an ignition that will have a hot enough spark for the boosted application, the little sh*t adds up quick, when you right it down on a piece of paper and your list and it totals $4000? You better multiply it by 1.5, ask any engine builder on here its always more than your wishlist totals up to, my wishlist on my car was a budget of $18,000 and $35,000 later and its still not done and hasn't even been started yet.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts