Turbo on a TBI 4.3

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
FullSizeChevy.com is currently going through updates so I'll post it here... has it ever crossed anyone's mind? I'm going to want more performance out of the 4.3 in my Sierra one day, and I'm unsure if I'll want to just go with a mild Vortec'd 350 or get a turbocharger setup built for the current 4.3. I'm pretty confident the crank can handle any reasonable amounts of boost, I'm sure a few of you know about the carbed 4.3 built in the past (Car Craft, Hot Rod, etc. used the article), then they added a centrifugal supercharger to it and it made close to 500hp. I'm just not sure of what the best way to control fuel/spark would be because I'd still need the EGR to be legal out here.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0210_43l_chevy_v6_vortechs_supercharger_install/index.html

cobalt327

Weekend Racer
Feb 11, 2010
Atlanta
MegaSquirt has the where-with-all to control the ignition/timing and EFI if you were going to go that direction w/the turbo.

Not for beginners, but you're not a beginner. Requires assembly, though- not everyone's cup o' tea!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yep, and there's also DynamicEFI, which I'd probably go with instead, it reuses part the factory ECM, but allows a flashable chip, and many of the features that the MS has. True that I'm no nub, but at the same time programming is NOT one of my strong points. I get really basic code, but when it comes to the language these DIY setups are written in I get pretty lost. I haven't really looked into all of it and if it's the same language for both setups, but I looked into the DIYAutoTune a little and I was just flat out baffled. Another nifty thing about the DynamicEFI setup is after you have a tune set up that works, you can use a little flash tool and store up to 8 separate programs for it (i.e. a valet/low-rpm mode, anti-theft mode, fuel economy mode, boosted, etc.)
img_flash.jpg

Doober, I am using Bob R's EBL in my malibu wagon. Awesome tech support and a great product! I got it when it was first released, my wagon wouldn't run with a stock ecm in it, even with hours or tuning the stock bins. But the EBL, heck yeah, control my n2o, see boost rev limiter, shift light control, yadda yadda. If youa re using a derivitive of factory gm FI, tpi/tbi, EBL FTW!

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
Doober,
Be aware that the injectors in a TBI may not be able to flow enough Lb/min under boost; even if you replace them with larger units and program your ecm.

I've always wanted to run a DIY turbo, and I've done lots of research trying to convert a TBI truck/caprice type set-up for blow-through. I've not seen one set-up this way, and it appears to be the fuel flow limitation of the injectors in the throttle body. This doesn't mean it can't be done, I just haven't found one yet. And I like the idea of a V6, because it leaves much more room under the hood for the turbo plumbing.

I don't think I'd run a turbo without the FI, I like all the computer control for increased driveability under all the boost/timing/load variables associated with a daily driven turbo vehicle.
$.02

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts