Trying to learn about Coil over shocks

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
You just have to be careful on drag setups with coil overs. Lower powered cars need the stored energy of the tall/light coil spring to work properly. The more power you have, the less spring energy the front end needs.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
I don't know why you would need to go coil over in the rear in my opinion. The factory type suspension rides nice and has been faster than most of us will ever think of going. Todd you are definitely right on the stored energy on the front, my car is way different with coil overs than the santhuff springs.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Trying to keep the rear at a lower ride height. I like the way it sits now but it doesnt have the right springs in the rear. They bottom out way to easy had to put stock size tire on the rear. It would try to rip the wheel well trim right off with the 275 60s I had on the rear.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
You can run an AFCO (has a larger diameter shaft) in the stock location in the rear as a coil-over. We've run it like this on Eric Kenward's Malibu wagon for a long time. Just need to get the 20135D coil-over hardware kit and a 14-150 spring rate since it's on an angle and not straight up and down. Just be careful, if the car gets faster and is 60 footing good, the upper shock mount there will need to be tied into the roll carge or braced up to support the weight of the coil-over on it. We cracked this on the wagon after a few 1.teen 60 fts. a couple years ago.

And Todd is right on the front... lower powered cars sometimes need the stored energy of a normal style spring to transfer the weight on launch. So be careful with a coil-over in the front. With that said, if you get the QA1 Pro Coil w/ the lightest spring rate possible to keep your car up, it should have enough stored energy. We have a few guys that run in the 6.50 - 7.00 range (1/8) that have this setup and it works fine. Some people put too heavy of a spring rate up front and it causes lots of issues.

82dragonwagon

Daily Driver
Apr 12, 2013
I'm getting ready to place my order for the 350# QA1's for the front of mine. Spohn also has a rear coil over and I think you use some QA parts according to what I heard. Mines not bad in the rear, but the front is just up and down all the time even with a KYB shock. You can buy a different spring if you change to a blower or turbo.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts