trying to do body work to stock hood

bowtieboySS427

Amateur Racer
Feb 27, 2008
Marblehead, Ohio
So has anyone else ever had problems with spider web like cracking of the paint on your hood? There really fine lines. After I painted my last el camino I couldnt get them to dissapear after I sanded the paint. So on my new el camino project I stripped all paint off the hood and took it to bare metal. Now I cant get the hood perfectly smooth. Feels wavy and Im not that bad of a body guy. I spread the whole hood in a few thin layers of bondo, but I think Im sanding it wrong. I have a 16" block. I got like a gallon of bondo in the hood and sanded most of it off. How do you sand these hoods? Its driving me nuts? are there special tricks or something? Bout ready to just buy a stock flat steel hood that just needs sprayed, but dont have the extra $. Thanks for the help.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
to feel for waves or dips, run your hand (flat) across the hood with a rag and you'll feel if there are any dips, waves or anything like that.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
How'd you strip it? Heat will kill them...seen many ahood ruined just from aggressive buffing/polishing. The glue spots stick the panels together, which doesn't allow the outer panel to expand and contract when heated. That will make low spots everywhere there's a bond.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
Are you always going in the same direction? I usually only do 3-4 strokes in every direction and I am always changing and never use fingers other than to grasp the sandpaper always use your palm. Also use guide coat it helps ease what you cannot see

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
Big near flat hoods can be a pain in the butt. When I did a 70 Monte hood I got a 24 inch block and skimmed the hood then went to town. What I found is that you can't press on the block much at all. You have to pretty much let the block do the work. When I was in tech school the teacher told us to do it this way and if we were doing it right you could slap/knock the board out of the sanders hand. (he would do it from time to time) If he didn't knock the board out of your hands you were pushing it too hard. That and the use of guide coat will help you out alot. ;)

bowtieboySS427

Amateur Racer
Feb 27, 2008
Marblehead, Ohio
Hey guys,
You make some good points. I used stripper on the hood and a heat gun. That might of warped it alittle and I think I need a longer block for sure. That teacher would of needed a hammer and chisel to knock the block out of my hand. I do sand a little hard and catch myself. Because those hoods are long and flat and have a natural bow in them. I realized if I pressed hard it messes it up. Thanks guys for the knowlege. Im gonna see what I can do tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow Ill post some pics for you guys to laugh at how many different coats of bondo is on this thing. I never thought I would have this many problems with a stock hood. Oh well. Thanks again

bowtieboySS427

Amateur Racer
Feb 27, 2008
Marblehead, Ohio
OH, also.. what is guide coats? I dont really grasp that yet

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
A guide coat is a contrasting color misted over your primer. Block sand and your high/low spots will be more obvious.

The guy I worked for years ago summed it up best.

"If you can feel it, you'll see it." ](*,)

Flat or slightly bowed surface was ALWAYS harder for me to get right than some sort of compound curve.

Stay after it. You'll get it right.

When it's the hood, you'll have to look at it every time you drive. :shock:

bukweet

bowtieboySS427

Amateur Racer
Feb 27, 2008
Marblehead, Ohio
bukweet said:
A guide coat is a contrasting color misted over your primer. Block sand and your high/low spots will be more obvious.

The guy I worked for years ago summed it up best.

"If you can feel it, you'll see it." ](*,)

Flat or slightly bowed surface was ALWAYS harder for me to get right than some sort of compound curve.

Stay after it. You'll get it right.

When it's the hood, you'll have to look at it every time you drive. :shock:

bukweet

lol heard that! I messed up on my last hood. It was depressing to look at it and I always got compliments.
And I do used guide coats but only when I think it is perfect to my eyes and fingers. Im usually 100% wrong 100% of the time. So body work is something I got work on ](*,)

But thanks alot for the help!

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Hmmm.....I see you have a 67 Impala SS.

Want a 67 Impala SS convertible?

327 automatic ,bucket seat, lemans(?)blue with white top/interior?

I have a friend that rebuilt all the mechanicals, #matching engine-trans and body work done, pics to document and it's where you can see the small amount of rust repair, front and rear suspension is done, needs paint and interior. He has all the original seats/console.
It's in northwest Arkansas. Will be a nice car.
He has more work and no time for toys. Great problem to have these days.

Let me know if it interests you and I'll PM you his cell#.

bukweet

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts