Tremec TKO 600

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
heres a question I have not thought of... what about the clutch I just bought? Its the Center Force Dual friction 10.4 Will it just bolt up to the flywheel?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Meat Drapes said:
heres a question I have not thought of... what about the clutch I just bought? Its the Center Force Dual friction 10.4 Will it just bolt up to the flywheel?

It will go on the original factory 153 tooth flywheel, but not the 454 flywheel.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Meat Drapes said:
OK, I finally found the flywheel. The TCI aftermarket flywheel is p/n 399554. I was looking for the wrong part. The price is right at around $123. Thanks for getting me in the ballpark.

Sorry about giving you the wrong P/N.

Tommy

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
This is getting worse and worse by the minute. My clutch will not fit? What is the difference?
The Lakewood option... what can I keep and what needs to be swapped???

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
OK, I have done a bunch of research and come up with this part:

10.5" flywheel for a 454 BBC is Part# 3963537

I am just double checking if anyone knows for sure if this is it... Assuming I keep my clutch and reuse the 606 bellhousing. Comments?

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I need more help.
I would like to do a hydraulic clutch. What will it take to accomplish this?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Lookiehere:

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=258242&highlight=hydeaulic+clutch+conversion#258242

You'll have to get a hydraulic release bearing for the Tremec, or use a slave cylinder and a stock style fork for the release bearing.

Tommy

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
OK, I have all of the info I need to make the conversion happen. The part number for the 'kit' is #13645... which includes a hydraulic throwout bearing for the Tremec and a master cylinder.
I am supposed to 'fabricate' a place to properly mount this master cylinder so everything lines up just right.
Anyone out there fabbed up a bracket to hold a clutch master cylinder up to the firewall? Got pics?
It looks as if my 454 swap is going to be a summer/fall project. Once I have the motor out then I can begin a fab of this mount needed to make the conversion. Now if only I could sell my 327cu to fund this project.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I have finally taken the car to the track to see how the transmission is.
Its not quite as fast out of the hole as the stock Saginaw was ... I ran a 1.99 60 ft with the Sag , and could not get better then 2.10 with the Tremec. This is with pretty poor radials( Firestone Firehawks). I had Winston winners before.
Anyway, the shifting was really nice. Through the traps in 4th gear and all of the gears were smooth. Its really nice to be able to bang gears HARD!
I picked up nearly a second with a Cam, heads, intake and transmission swap.
My mighty little 327 mustered a 14.05 @ 99.79. About what I expected. There is a high 13 lurking in the car but I was not willing to wait for the temp to drop.
All in all, there are some NO-NOs that I can recall now that the transmission is in. Not checking the run-out was a bad idea. And I still have not adjusted the driveline angle to the ideal angles. Its all irrelevant now as I have begun teardown of the new 454. The header issue for Big Block Malibus is solved so I can keep my linkage and not worry about the hydraulic setup.
The next posts will come later but this will start again but with a Big Block and checking things the right way.

RKHiPerformance

Amateur Racer
G-Body Bellhousings...

What about the new bellhousing from OPGI?

It's an aluminum factory-style unit designed for the '78-81 G-body and it will accept an 11" clutch. The part number is CH26684 and it sells for $185, IIRC.

There's no pic on their website yet because it's a new product.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts