Throttle body V6 to V8 conversion question.......

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
big-angry-hillbilly said:
Three letters and three numbers my friend:

TBI 454.

If I can ever get my hands on another, you better believe you will find it shoved in my malibu

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
Ok, 'm going to give this a try. I've got a '86 G body with a 4.3 (I traded the motor), and I'm going to drop a '97 Vortec 5.7 in it with a carbureted intake. I'm going to make an adapter for the TBI out of 1/4 aluminum plate. I got the TBI from a 88 truck, ecm, and the 700R4 out of it too. I originally was going to go TPI, but I may just stay with this if it turns out clean, and drives as good as my truck.

Wish me luck!

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
I looked at those, but I figured it was more than I want to spend, and I may not keep the TBI for sure. If I changed my mind, I don't think I'd be able to get my money out of it.

Thanks for the heads up though!!

Scott.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
I know that this is an old thread, but I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is contemplating this swap on an '88 Monte LS with the 4.3 TBI. If you get a 305 TBI from a Camaro or Firebird, or a 305 or 350 TBI from a Caprice or a Buick Roadmaster, along with all of the external parts (manifolds, TBI unit, sensors, etc.), then that should be all that would be needed correct? The car has the 200R4 transmission in it. Thanks in advance.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm not sure how it controls lockup, that's the only thing that would need looking at. There's a chance the TPS may have a different plug, but that's not hard to rewire.

FWIW, if you use an aftermarket intake, use an EGR-capable intake, even if you don't use EGR. The exhaust gasses flowing under the intake will help with fuel atomization.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
Doober, thanks for your help. The intention is to keep the car emission legal, as things are getting tougher here in Ontario.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
My vote (don't know if you're opening up the engine at all) is to get an EBL and WB O2 sensor kit from dynamicefi.com, and put a small cam in. The one that's in most TBI engines is good 'til about 3500rpm. A cam/spring upgrade with he EBL and some porting on those TBI heads (or a pair of L98 heads if he could find them) and he'll be in pretty good shape. I would also install a '96-'97 Vortec pump on the sending unit and is a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
The mods sound interesting, but I think that my friend is looking for a stock type swap, so that the car has more power than the V6, and makes V8 type noises, but is still reliable. Thanks again for your help.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
No problem :D For a stock type conversion I'd definitely look at a Vortec swap. There are a few things different from the TBI swap (wiring is different, fuel line connections), but overall it's still pretty straightforward (may have to have the computer reprogrammed to get rid of VATS), and the power curve is much better than a TBI setup. You would need a 4L60E though, or find a way to hook up a kickdown/TV cable if you use an older 4-speed auto (all Vortec engines had computer controlled transmissions).

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts