TH350 Lockup?

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
Looking at my pan, I'm pretty sure I have a th350 in the wagon, but it does have an OD or locks up in 3rd? I can't tell. Is it possible to have a th350 with a lockup converter that will make it feel like it has an OD?

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Yes. Simply check for an electrical connector on the driver's side of the trans near the shift lever. GM made both a TH250C and a TH350C lockup transmission. They look almost identical on the outside. The TH250C is a bit weaker than the TH350C and therefore undesirable for performance applications. To identify the 250C, check to see if the trans has an external band adjuster, a stud and locknut sticking out of the case just behind the cooler lines. The 350 transmissions do not have an external band adjuster.

83bu

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
more than likely a th250c i have yet to see an 83 with th350c

The TH350C transmission did feature a lock-up torque converter. The lock-up clutch will apply in third gear at cruising speeds typically around 40+ MPH. The lock-up clutch internally locks the turbine to the front cover of the converter, which provides a true 1:1 drive ratio to the input shaft and eliminates all converter slippage. The lock-up feature was designed to help improve fuel efficiency and reduce transmission operation temperature in steady-state cruising conditions. When the lock-up applies, it can feel like an additional forward driving range is being applied, giving it that sense or feel of "overdrive", although it's actually just a true 1:1 ratio through high gear in the TH350C.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts