th350 broken housing from ear to ear

clutch92rs

Amateur Racer
Feb 24, 2004
glasgow, kentucky
I may have a stupid question pete. I had a 408 in this car before and gave it hello on the street and strip with no issues. I let my dad drive the car and the crank broke and siezed up. it warped my flexplate when I got to looking at it. With this new motor I bought a new flexplate, but did not have the torque converter checked. Could it have messed it up?

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
With a jolt like that It might have started the stress on the bell or even caused a hairline crack that went unnoticed?

clutch92rs said:
I may have a stupid question pete. I had a 408 in this car before and gave it hello on the street and strip with no issues. I let my dad drive the car and the crank broke and siezed up. it warped my flexplate when I got to looking at it. With this new motor I bought a new flexplate, but did not have the torque converter checked. Could it have messed it up?

It's unlikely that the engine seizure caused any damage to the torque converter, although the only way to know for sure is to have us (or someone) cut the converter apart and check it out. There is always the potential for some damage to the sprag in this scenario, but we've seen some pretty catastrophic engine failures that caused no damage to the converter.

ex04

Weekend Racer
Aug 20, 2009
VESTAL NEW YORK
:D Hello, here's something that was not spoken of in previous tips. you need to check you engine dowels to the trans line up.lots of times when you juggling the engine block around the dowels will move back into the engine block. then they are too short as this is what locates the eng to trans. the bolts you install DO NOT ALIGN THE TRANS TO ENGINE PROPERLY. i reccomend using longer dowels as this also helps the install when there is a shortage of help.ALSO DO NOT USE ALL SOLID TRANS AND ENGINE MOUNTS TOGETHER. i use a good urethane trans mount w/ steel engine mount :D . hope this helps you to look further to find you solution to problem. thanks jim e.

ex04 said:
:D Hello, here's something that was not spoken of in previous tips. you need to check you engine dowels to the trans line up.lots of times when you juggling the engine block around the dowels will move back into the engine block. then they are too short as this is what locates the eng to trans. the bolts you install DO NOT ALIGN THE TRANS TO ENGINE PROPERLY. i reccomend using longer dowels as this also helps the install when there is a shortage of help.ALSO DO NOT USE ALL SOLID TRANS AND ENGINE MOUNTS TOGETHER. i use a good urethane trans mount w/ steel engine mount :D . hope this helps you to look further to find you solution to problem. thanks jim e.

GREAT, great point!!! Thanks for bringing up the dowel pin issue. Well done! \:D/

ex04

Weekend Racer
Aug 20, 2009
VESTAL NEW YORK
:D just a tip on the longer dowels as was explained to me from my trans shop[SEPANEK RACING TRANS ,MOOSIC PA.] you need to enlarge the holes in the trans case when installing new longer dowels[ABOUT .010-.015 ] even thou the dowels are sized to spec the trans needs a little more clearance for the dowels to slide easily. if not you will struggle to get the trans to mate properly,avoiding the NEVER DO INSTALL THE BOLTS TO DRAW IT UP. We're only talking like a hone type opening, nothing too crazy. clearance the opening in trans dowels before in stalling in the block. thanks jim e. :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts