swap and carb vs. efi questions

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
SSR 5.3 = Aluminum if I remember right. The car craft article I read used an 'SSR' 5.3 engine, and they said it was aluminum. I'll look for it later tonight after I get home.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Horsepwraddict said:
T5MalibuWagon said:
another question, do 5.3's have aluminum blocks?

no. The 4.8 and 5.3 share the same block

an LM7 is an aluminum 5.3, so does LH6

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
i stand corrected. An aluminum 5.3 would be damn fun in my truck, on top of all the weight reduction ive done it probably weighs less than the 4.3 that came out of it.

For what its worth, the ls1 blocks aren't that strong. The iron blocks can handle upwards of 900hp from the factory. But for any mild build, i would love the weight of the aluminum block.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Thanks for all the replys.

Drwoo, Whats that in, and what engine did you go with? Looks bad a$$ with that black carb :twisted:

All the swap pics I have looked at retain the power steering pump, in my swap I wouldnt need anything other than the alternator. Is there a way to only run the alternator or do I need to find a power steering set up for my car so I dont have a PS pump just hanging out.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
yes, just dont run the pump, you can trim the alt-powersteering bracket down. keep the tensioner and get a shorter belt. My brother just runs the alt, waterpump, crank and tensioner, no idler and has no problems with the belt even at 7000-7500 rpm.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
455_82malibu said:
yes, just dont run the pump, you can trim the alt-powersteering bracket down. keep the tensioner and get a shorter belt. My brother just runs the alt, waterpump, crank and tensioner, no idler and has no problems with the belt even at 7000-7500 rpm.

Thaks for the info. I dont really want power anything, just more stuff to go wrong and more weight.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
T5MalibuWagon said:
455_82malibu said:

Thaks for the info. I dont really want power anything, just more stuff to go wrong and more weight.

Thats what im talkin about!

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Ya I know your finally rubbing off on me, lol. Man the difference in working on your bu and mine is killer. I think I would rather pull a head on yours than a valve cover on mine. With this car not having any power it just makes sense to me ;)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts