Steel Concepts brake kit & 4 wheel disc brakes

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Anyone here using the Steel Concepts master cylinder (1 1/32" bore) and firewall mounting kit WITH 4 wheel disc brakes, specifically 4 piston drag style brakes like Strange, Wilwood, or Aerospace???

Any issues with achieving proper braking pressures? Stop well?

I'm gonna be installing Strange Engineering Pro Race 4 wheel disc brakes this winter. Strange is recommending the usage of a 1 .125" bore master cylinder.

As you may know the SC master cylinder kit comes with a 1 1/32" MC.

I'm trying to decide if I should order the whole kit as the company e-mailed me telling me it should work fine with the slightly smaller bore MC they provide. OR should I order the mounting plate alone and order the recommended Strange 1.125" MC?

thanks for any and all input.

Todd

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
10secBu said:
Anyone here using the Steel Concepts master cylinder (1 1/32" bore) and firewall mounting kit WITH 4 wheel disc brakes, specifically 4 piston drag style brakes like Strange, Wilwood, or Aerospace???

Any issues with achieving proper braking pressures? Stop well?

I'm gonna be installing Strange Engineering Pro Race 4 wheel disc brakes this winter. Strange is recommending the usage of a 1 .125" bore master cylinder.

As you may know the SC master cylinder kit comes with a 1 1/32" MC.

I'm trying to decide if I should order the whole kit as the company e-mailed me telling me it should work fine with the slightly smaller bore MC they provide. OR should I order the mounting plate alone and order the recommended Strange 1.125" MC?

thanks for any and all input.

Todd

Just buy the plate, and get the recommended MC.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Honestly Todd, knowing you and your attention to detail, would you really trust/be happy with anything other than the Strange master?

I'm with Barry on this one.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
My concern here is the pedal ratio vs the master cylinder bore. Strange recommends the 1.125" bore master cylinder with a pedal ratio of 6.5 to 1.

The steel concepts kit has a lower pedal ratio and with the larger bore i wonder if it will take too much pedal travel to reach a hard pedal?

I'm wondering if maybe the pedal ratio and bore of the SC kit is comparable to a larger bore M/C with the higher pedal ratio?

I do like the SC firewall bracket as I'm not fond of how the factory master cylinder tilts back.

I just want to make sure what ever direction I take gives strong brake pressure without a ton of pedal travel. With the stock manual brake setup before, it took a good deal of pedal travel to get solid brake feel.

I guess another reason I'm asking this stuff is that it appears as though the S/C kit was intended to work with stock G-body disc/drum brakes. With the aftermarket drag 4 wheel discs I'm running, I need to be sure what ever I wind up using has the required volume and pressure.

stroker81

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
SW Missouri
If you are not in a hurry, I should have the answer to your exact question in a couple weeks. All depends on Travis.

John N

Top Fueler
Feb 12, 2005
South Jersey
jackstandracing.com
1 1/32 vs 1 1/8 is difference you'll be able to feel. The 1 1/32 you have on order may not be enough volume for all 4 piston calipers and require a lot of pedal travel if you're still using an effective pedal ratio. I think 1 1/8 sounds right, and I'd go that route.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts