spherical bearings for rear end housing

pdqwagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2009
Grove City Ohio
Will these spherical bearing work in the ears on the rear end housing or are they only for the control arms? They are the ones that speedway motors sells.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1973-88-GM-Midsize-Rear-Control-Arm-Spherical-Bushing,9021.html

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Here ya go- part # SP-88.

http://www.globalwest.net/1978-88_Chevelle,_Grand_National,_Cutlass,_Century,_rear_tubular_control_arms..htm

Tommy

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
LS6 Tommy said:
Here ya go- part # SP-88.

http://www.globalwest.net/1978-88_Chevelle,_Grand_National,_Cutlass,_Century,_rear_tubular_control_arms..htm

Tommy
The TRZ bearings are only $105 for the pair.

pdqwagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2009
Grove City Ohio
CutlassRacer said:
Whoa! $300 big ones?!!??

Here are some TRZ's for $105 and they work really well ;)

gmspherical.jpg

Yea, I thought 300 was a little steep myself. How do the ones from TRZ mount, what is the measurement between the ends where the ears would be?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I'm not knocking the TRZ stuff, but they do say "not for normal street driving" right in their ad, so I don't know if that's an issue for your application. The GW's are fine on the street & have a lifetime warranty, too...

Tommy

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
I havent had any problems with using them on the street yet. The TRZ ones do not use a self lubricating bearing in them, such as a teflon lined setup. By the looks of the GW ones, and their description it kinda looks like the same thing as the TRZ ones, except for the steel bushings for the control arm bolt and the fancy spanner wrench installer tool.

I have installed a bunch of the TRZ ones and you knock the old bushings out, clean the rust/rough spots out of the bushing bore then tap the spherical bearing into the housing. Put a little dab of locktight on the threads of the lock ring and thread it on as tight as you can get it by hand. If you want them a little tighter than that I have ground a couple notches in them and tapped them a little tighter with a screwdriver.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
Not knocking either the TRZ or Global West cause they are good stuff, but the speedway sphericals should work without any problems. I have a new set of them for my 12-bolt but haven't put them in yet. Have talked with a few peeps that have used them ok. When you go to your local parts store and order rear control arm bushings and housing bushings they are all the same part #, so if the are supposedly made for the control arms they should also work in the upper housing ears also. I should be installing mine in the next few weeks so I will try to let you know for sure when I get it done!

pdqwagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2009
Grove City Ohio
malibulvr said:
Not knocking either the TRZ or Global West cause they are good stuff, but the speedway sphericals should work without any problems. I have a new set of them for my 12-bolt but haven't put them in yet. Have talked with a few peeps that have used them ok. When you go to your local parts store and order rear control arm bushings and housing bushings they are all the same part #, so if the are supposedly made for the control arms they should also work in the upper housing ears also. I should be installing mine in the next few weeks so I will try to let you know for sure when I get it done!
Good to know, thanks. I will have to check into that also.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts