smog/emission diagram

kuruption109

Dragway Regular
Sep 14, 2009
highland, ca
im in need of a diagram for my 81 malibu with a v6 229 3 speed trans can anyone help?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've wondered the same thing about one for a v8 car... I'll take a gander at my shop manuals while I'm up here & see if there's anything. When I went to one of the testing centers in Tucson back in Feb., I happened to see a guy that had a '78 El Camino. He said it was his 5th year having it on the road since he had the motor built & installed. He wasn't the most mechanically inclined from the sounds of things, didn't even know if it had an air pump or not :| He let me check under the hood & he had full length headers, without an air pump. What do you need the diagrams for?

kuruption109

Dragway Regular
Sep 14, 2009
highland, ca
Doober said:
I've wondered the same thing about one for a v8 car... I'll take a gander at my shop manuals while I'm up here & see if there's anything. When I went to one of the testing centers in Tucson back in Feb., I happened to see a guy that had a '78 El Camino. He said it was his 5th year having it on the road since he had the motor built & installed. He wasn't the most mechanically inclined from the sounds of things, didn't even know if it had an air pump or not :| He let me check under the hood & he had full length headers, without an air pump. What do you need the diagrams for?
for all the vaccum hoses...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Well, I pulled out my '78 service manual & it just so happens it has them :) I'm not positive it will be the same for '81, but I think it will help :D Doesn't the "computer" just control the carburetor and distributor?

I'll get the pics up soon... they cover several engines and applications, so read the text under each of the diagrams.

kuruption109

Dragway Regular
Sep 14, 2009
highland, ca
Doober said:
Well, I pulled out my '78 service manual & it just so happens it has them :) I'm not positive it will be the same for '81, but I think it will help :D Doesn't the "computer" just control the carburetor and distributor?

I'll get the pics up soon... they cover several engines and applications, so read the text under each of the diagrams.
ok thanks..

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Here they be 8) Hopefully they'll help... I know they'll be helpin' me if I ever go with regular insurance on my '78. I'm going with collector's insurance (to start with at least) - don't want to have to piece together an emissions system from nothing.
DSC04608.jpg

DSC04609.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

kuruption109

Dragway Regular
Sep 14, 2009
highland, ca
thanks doober.. what book do u have im gonna have to get that you help me out alot.. im goin to pull all this emission crap off and put it in storage since i dont have to go through emission

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It's a GM factory service manual. I got mine from eBay for a little cheaper (~$75 I think it was), but you can buy them new from Helm, or even find them through the GM site.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?session=D8F86ABF3DDD45CBB2FAFBA9D7397D44&Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CHV&Model=MALI&Year=1981&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=
http://www.goodwrench.com/Tips/OwnerManuals.jsp

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts