saginaw manual trans ??

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i found a guy looking to trade or sell its a 4spd he said it needs 4th gear and a main shaft i am trying to trade with parts i dont need but wondered if it will last after repair running a 383 400hp street only car ,,,,,i dont hammer on it i pretty much baby it so was thinking it would be ok figured i would get some input really wanted to go muncie but the $$ isnt there and my 2 th350's need rebuilding thanks

iwannawheelie

Amateur Racer
Jan 11, 2008
CT
79izfine said:
i found a guy looking to trade or sell its a 4spd he said it needs 4th gear and a main shaft i am trying to trade with parts i dont need but wondered if it will last after repair running a 383 400hp street only car ,,,,,i dont hammer on it i pretty much baby it so was thinking it would be ok figured i would get some input really wanted to go muncie but the $$ isnt there and my 2 th350's need rebuilding thanks

Good luck. Saginaws have a hard time holding stock output. I guess you could try it and baby it if the price is right. Can u get ur hands on a super t-10 ive had decent luck with them.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i would like a muncie or the t-10 i just saw the ad and he wants $350 or trades so i was seeing if i had any trade interest turns out i dont have anything hes interested in and dont have the $$ for the trans so just going to hold off seeing i would still need a bellhousing anyways my dilema is i have 2 th350's that could stand a rebuild or grab a stick trans and seeing i still have a new centerforce on the shelf thought the saginaw would get me by for a bit thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'd say you made away fairly well on it. It depends on what the gear set is though (there were 4 different sets). There will be anywhere from 0-4 rings around the input shaft, that will denote what gear set it has.
DSC01910.jpg

iwannawheelie said:
79izfine said:

Good luck. Saginaws have a hard time holding stock output. I guess you could try it and baby it if the price is right. Can u get ur hands on a super t-10 ive had decent luck with them.

I don't shift mine hard most of the time, but I'm on the gas pretty good, 350-375hp without any issues so far. I also had a 3-speed last year that I was fairly hard on, and it never complained.
3-speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWMDs9issUc&feature=channel_page
4-speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI9H1p574Q

Make sure everything's in good shape, and you should be fine.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
it needs rebuild he told me it needs a main shaft and a 4th gear what he said was the guy he bought the car from had 4th gear issues more specific it was stuck in 4th he i assume used some force to get it out then next drive cycle it stuck again and twisted a ring / retainer something along those lines and from what the seller says he had to use the press to get the gear off and a machinest said the shaft was messed up .... i am going to do some reasearch on how to rebuild them and get prices on parts etc but for free i will take it and toss it next to the three speed i have hanging around maybe in 30yrs they people can see them and say what the hell are those ...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Not bad. What caused the sudden change from $350 to wires?

Do you still need an input shaft and a mainshaft?

You will also need a full rebuild kit. If the mainshaft is bad, what was the cause? If it is assembled, how is it known the mainshaft is bad and that no other gears are bad (as in stuck to the mainshaft)?

If the cluster is bad, you cannot buy a new one anymore; you must find a used one (good luck).

I can help you with a mainshaft, and maybe the input shaft, depending upon the ratio.

The rebuild kit will cost you at least another $150, plus the bad gears and the mainshaft. The total cost will add up quickly. Are you better off putting the same money towards a T10 that needs a rebuild?

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
the trans is dis-assebled he told me he wanted hes tired of looking at it.... i just figure i would grab it a toss it in the collection then research and see if its worth puting $$ into it also i found a guy that sells rebuilt muncie m-20-21- and t-10 starting at $650 up and takes cores figure maybe i would go that route when time comes i just missed another listing someone had 3 muncies for $200.00 each guessing they needed work but cash is strapped right now i have my th350 to get me buy this summer just doesnt shift just stays in 3rd gear when in drive but it will hit all 3 gears when shifted manually

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Take a look here. You may be able to get the parts you need. Before I found my 4-speed I was considering the GK-SAG kit, but it was cheaper... that was a few months ago :-k
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/saginaw_4_speeds_overhaul_kit.html

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If you're going to rebuild a manual transmission, put the money into the Muncie or the T10. the money you spend on that Saginaw to just hgave it self destruct in a week is about the same as the money for the Muncie or T10 rebuild kits, espsecially if the Saginaw needs gears & the Muncie/T10 probably won't.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts