Rear coil spring replacement

lastchevelle

Weekend Racer
Dec 14, 2003
Sidney, MT
I'm in the process of installing an anti-roll bar and read that trick rear springs shouldn't be used when running an arb. I have a choice of stock or cargo style springs. Right now I have trick springs all around along with Comp. Eng. adjustable shocks front and rear, also using air bags. The thing i'm afraid of is the car will sit too low with the stock springs and maybe even with the cargo springs. Any ideas? I've seen variations of this question before but not exactly the same. Thanks. Matt

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Ditch the trick springs in the rear, they will fight the ARB. Stockers should be fine unless your car has a ton of extra weight in the rear, or you're running a very tall tire, though trial and error is seemingly the only way to go with these cars.

lastchevelle

Weekend Racer
Dec 14, 2003
Sidney, MT
OK. Don't have any extra weight but I do still have the factory tank. Are cargo coils considered a variable rate spring? I read not to use these either. I like the way the car sits now but I have spacers on top to raise it some. Would you still run air bags or not? I'll be using a trans brake for the first time this year. I'm running a 28" tire. Thanks for the reply. Matt

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
No air bags. The cargo coils I had were not variable rate, but that's not to say they're all not. I had them in a wagon, and the thing sat like a monster truck in back. Needless to say, they didn't stay in there long.

lastchevelle

Weekend Racer
Dec 14, 2003
Sidney, MT
I think I'll go with the stock springs then and if it sits too low maybe they'll let me return them and try the cargo coils. Thanks again for the advice. Matt

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts