Package shelf, Making one, any suggestions? Tips?

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
As I'm sure many are aware the package shelf in Malibu's were crap and look like rolling waves in an ocean after years of the sun beating on them. What have you guys done? Repros? Do they hold up?

I'm making a new one for mine using some hardboard I got at Home Cheapo. I figured I'd pick up some of that black material the stereo shops use to cover sub boxes and then make a new vinyl roll over out of some leftover headliner material I have.

I'm going for a retro look with this car so I don't want modern looking 6 X 9 speaker covers showing. Either something 60's looking or no covers. Any suggestions?

Here's where I'm at today. New work table not finished yet.

MVC-018F.jpg

flatblack79

Pro Stocker
Feb 28, 2010
Stockbridge, Georgia
nice.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
I did something similar,but mines 3 pieces to go around my rollbar.I made it out of the old paneling we took off the walls of my brothers basement when we built the bar down there.haha.I will try and post picas when i get done redoing my interior.

Bubuseventy8

Dragway Regular
Jul 26, 2003
Springfield, TN
facebook.com
made mine from plywood..made the outline cut it. cut out grille material so there wasnt a saggy spot and then moderately coated with 3M spray adhesive and layed fabric out left to right and smoothed as I went. going to redo it soon out of abs

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
dixiemontecarlo has them new but your on the right track. I made mine out of 3/4 inch partical board. I cut out the metal underneath that and I have four 6x9 kickers installed.
NOT A TA said:
As I'm sure many are aware the package shelf in Malibu's were crap and look like rolling waves in an ocean after years of the sun beating on them. What have you guys done? Repros? Do they hold up?

I'm making a new one for mine using some hardboard I got at Home Cheapo. I figured I'd pick up some of that black material the stereo shops use to cover sub boxes and then make a new vinyl roll over out of some leftover headliner material I have.

I'm going for a retro look with this car so I don't want modern looking 6 X 9 speaker covers showing. Either something 60's looking or no covers. Any suggestions?

MVC-018F.jpg

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
THANKS FOR THIS POSTING! I WILL MAKE SURE TO GO TO DM, TO GET MY PACKAGE TRAY!! BIG UPS TO THE GUYS WHO ARE WINGING IT. FOR AWHILE, I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA HAVE TO DO THE SAME!
fastheavychevy said:
dixiemontecarlo has them new but your on the right track. I made mine out of 3/4 inch partical board. I cut out the metal underneath that and I have four 6x9 kickers installed.
NOT A TA said:

MVC-018F.jpg

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
John I made mine out of the same 1/8" hardboard (whiteboard/dryerase stuff) that you have there. Trace out the location of the speaker holes and I used a 1/2" paddle drill bit and just drilled a bunch of holes. Cover the hole mess with that speaker box carpet in black and you can't tell there are speakers back there but they sound just fine. If you don't like that idea you could cut the whole thing out and staple some screen over the hole and then cover it with the carpet.

p.s. like pretty much all of them my package tray corner plastic pieces were totally rotten so I made the new tray a little bit wider and just trimmed the rotten plastic off and left the rest to hold the mouldings together. It looks like it was made that way ;)

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
Matt, Did you need any sound deadener to keep the panel from vibrating and rattling on the metal shelf? I did find some old speaker covers I bought back 20-30 years ago and never used that'll give me the look I'm after so I'm going to use them. Luckily my car was a northern car and garaged most of its life so the plastic's still good.

MVC-027F-1.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts