over heating issues in my 231

larryg

Frequent Racer
Jun 6, 2008
Western Mass
I'm a noob to this stuff and am working without gauges, just idiot lights. My car only has 47K on it and wasnt run for 17 years. I bought it and it ran fine all the way home, 150 miles and I parked it till spring when I started using it sparingly. The first time I ran it for more than 20 miles at above average highway speeds it over heated. I towed it home and changed the thermostat, but after looking at the sludge in the radiator I decided it could very well be plugged up so I bought a new one for just over $100.

Everything was cool again till this weekend when it did it again, this time a little further from home and again on the highway. The overflow tank was bubbling but the color was a nice green. I waited for things to cool down and limped off the highway and refilled the radiator with premix and started home, babying it at 50mph. When it warmed up again I pulled over and this time the overflow tank was a dark brown sludge that looked like a babies poop. It was gurgling like a baby too! I waited a long time than rechecked, the resevoir was now bone dry and the radiator was down quite a bit as well. I refilled, restarted and nursed her home with absolutely no further issues. It ran fine. Started fine and showed no signs of over heating when I got home, 15 miles down the road.

Whats going on? What is that sludge and where did it go? Do I have a head gasket problem? I drained the oil and filter after the very first over heating problem and it showed no signs of water in there. Did someone throw that copper crap in my block? I could use some advice.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
when you put the new rad in did you purge the system to get rid of all the air? and you may have to flush the system good to get all the crap out of it.

larryg

Frequent Racer
Jun 6, 2008
Western Mass
I thought I did purge it but maybe I didnt do it well enough. What would I notice if I blew a head gasket?

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
possible water out exhaust..... or water in oil...... or an excessive amount of pressure in the cooling system......

Chris K.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
What kind of fan does it have? A seized fan clutch or a solid mounted fan can cause overheating on the highway.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts