New trans and engine fitment question

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Well I'm not starting the swap yet, I don't even have the engine trans accessories or anything, but I'd like to make a thread to clear up a couple questions I have.

First one is, how would you guys go about using both a Gen III/IV engine and a newer trans like a 4L60E in our cars? I was thinking, bolting the TH350 trans to the new engine, and as a whole unit drop it down into the car and bolt up the trans to the crossmember, and then go from there. Or is there an easier way to do it? I'm looking to keep the stock A/C box but if needed I could notch it or relocate the coils.

Next question is, how are the tanks vented with an in the tank pump and the LS engine? Basically the same as a mechanical pump with the big cannister in the front of the engine?

And finally, what would be needed to make the stock gauges in the car work? If it's virtually impossible to reuse the stock gauges then I'm okay with that, but the interior looks great after I spent quite a while on it and I love the way it looks with the later year Monte gauges.

That's really all I've got for now I'm pretty familiar working with the engines at the dealership but with a swap like this I'd like to learn as much as possible before I dive into this and put my car out of commission for nothing.

Thanks

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
It would be easier to leave the 350 in if thats the trans you prefer to use. The 4l60e can be used but you will need to purchase an aftermarket x-member such as the Fatmans or something similar. Depending on how far forward you sit the motor then ac box/ coil clearance wont be an issue but then you have to worry about header clearance. The stock gauges will work with the ls engines if you purchase the required adapters from autometer or dakota digital, and transfer the senders from the old engine onto the new engine. However, you will need to decide what trans you're going to use as the 4l60e will need to have a cable operated tail shaft swapped onto it in order for the stock speedo to operate, or the "Cable X" device. Also the stock tach will need to have an adapter from dakota digital added inline in order for the tach to read properly, the adapter will need to be set up as a 4cyl instead of an 8cyl.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
A few things I can help on...

Venting the gas tank, I used where the old canister came out, but disconnected it right there, took out the canister and put a small import looking filter on it. Took the canister out and put the computer there. Second, the engine drop in, I didn't have the full a/c box, but mine went in together, engine and trans, and i was running the 4l80e trans. The speedo depends on the transmission you use. If you use the TH 350, then you can use the mechanical speedo. If you use the 4l60e/4l80e, you can spend money on the adapter to adapt from a pulse to the mechanical, or you can get aftermarket gauges, I used the Autometer phantoms, one for the speedo and one for the tach. Sorry I can't be more help, I should have taken more pictures I guess, as my memory is really bad...meh, next time!

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Another place to look, and may help, go to http://www.ls1tech.com and then scroll down to the hybrid and conversion section, they'll have a lot more information there.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Thanks guys appreciate the replies. Those are really the only questions that I had right now. There's someone nearby selling a complete LQ4 with 317 heads with the harness and computer for $1200 but because I don't really plan on using the 317's I think I may just keep on looking.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
317s are really good heads, and for that deal, depending on the mileage, thats a pretty good motor to have. I'm still running the 317s with a littlle work done to them, no problems as of yet, or you can always sell them off for about 300 bucks :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts