More Starting Problems

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Once again. if it isnt 1 thing its another. I woke up this morning with intentions of breaking this motor in (SBC 350). I had the battery on a slow charger all night. It seemed to be charged a fair amount. I went to start it and it just churned and churned. I added some gas to the 600 Holley carb. I attempted to start it again and I get a pop through the carb. 3 or 4 times after trying. Now I checked the wires and the #3 and #4 wires were mixed up.(I have brand new cap, rotor and wires.) Now I tried it again with the vision of it starting in my mind but nothing. No pop through the carb or anything. Just churning. After all of that I have maybe came to the conclusion my battery may not be charged enough to start it. What do you guys think?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Is the starter spining the motor over fast anuff to start the motor, also check for spark and see that the carb is getting fuel buy looking down the intake. With both of these it should start.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
I dont think the battery is charged enough to make the starter spin fast enough. it churns a little slower than usual. But if it pops through the car that must mean its spinning fast enough.By the way this is my 1st time trying to fire this motor up after adding a new gear drive and cam.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I would try a good full charged batterie. The dots on the two gears are lind up, right ? So the time is right.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Correct. When I get the starter engaging the churning is a little slow.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
gbodyera said:
Correct. When I get the starter engaging the churning is a little slow.
Yea , A fully charged batterie will be needed to spine the starter motor fast so it can start the motor.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts