low beams don't work

A

Anonymous

Yesterday after driving with my lights on for a while I stopped and turned them off with the car running. When I pulled the switch to turn them on again only the marker lights came on. Everything else including the high beams works.
  • Are there a specific grounding point for the dash electrical devices?
  • Could this be caused by a bad ground?

I took the dash bezel off to take a look at the switch and found the plastic piece that holds the headlight and wiper switches is broken so I'm going to fix that while it's apart.
  • How do I get the headlight switch knob off?

Thanks in advance.

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
It shounds like you have a bad beam switch. I had that happen to me once. I was 500 miles from home, and pulled off the road about dusk to get something to eat. When I got back to the car, it was dark, and as the car pulled on to the entrance ramp, I couldn't see! Turns out the beam switch went bad, and by pulling just right on the turn signal lever, it would sometimes work.

You get the shaft out of the light switch by pushing on the little metal button on the switch itself. On the side opposite the connections, there is a little metal button that you push and then pull on the shaft. Some times takes a little patience.

Scot

A

Anonymous

ScotSea said:
It shounds like you have a bad beam switch. I had that happen to me once. I was 500 miles from home, and pulled off the road about dusk to get something to eat. When I got back to the car, it was dark, and as the car pulled on to the entrance ramp, I couldn't see! Turns out the beam switch went bad, and by pulling just right on the turn signal lever, it would sometimes work.

You get the shaft out of the light switch by pushing on the little metal button on the switch itself. On the side opposite the connections, there is a little metal button that you push and then pull on the shaft. Some times takes a little patience.

Scot
Thanks for the reply. Did you replace the beam switch? Where did you pick it up and how much was it?

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
It was not the exact same car, it was a 90 Grand Prix. But the beam switch is similar. I got a new GM one from a GM dealer near Akron, Ohio. It was not expensive, like $10-$15 as I remember. You could probably still find one in a junkyard, if you have to.

Scot

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts