Hurst shifter fun...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So I'm going to need either a)a rebuild on my current shifter, or b)a replacement shifter for the 'Bu before it's driven regularly. I finally decided to look a little further into the shifter body issue because I never knew for sure if my current shifter was the original for the car. Read on :)

Hurst had 3 different part numbers for a specific shifter depending on if you wanted the shifter+stick, just the shifter (body, no rods or bracket), or just the stick.

=============================

So, from the Hurst Catalog, it says the correct shifter (this number is shifter + stick) for G-Bodies is 391 8794.
It lists it for:

'78+ G-Bodies with Saginaw trans

74-'81 Camaro/Firebird with T-10 trans (w/o console, w/ console is a different number)
-----------------------------------------------
The shifter body itself is listed as 391 5401/391 7535, it fits with:
391 0001: 1/2 ton Chevrolet trucks when using "passenger car transmissions" (Saginaw trans)

391 0027: ??? - lists a ~15.5" stick

391 6848: '70-'72 Camaro/Firebird (Muncie trans), '71-'73 Ventura (Muncie trans), '68-'73 Nova (Muncie trans), '74 El Camino (Muncie trans), '62-'65 Ford full size car (T-10, Ford T&C trans), '64-'65 Fairlane/Tornio (Ford T&C trans), and '61-'65 Mercury full size car (T-10, Ford T&C trans)

391 7307: '66-'67 Buick sport/special (Saginaw trans), '58-'59 Chevrolet full size car (T-10 trans), '66-'67 Chevelle (Saginaw trans), '59/'66-'67 El Camino ('59 T-10, '66-'67 Saginaw trans)

391 7535: '57-'62 Corvette (T-10 trans), also lists it as a general fit for Muncie/T-10/Saginaw/New Process/Ford T&C

=============================

391 5043/391 6817 is the body of the shifter that's on the car right now. Far as I can tell the only major difference is the arm for Reverse is a little shorter, meaning it has to move slightly farther to engage reverse, but there's enough space inside the shifter for that far as I can tell. 6817 doesn't list an application, and the only part listed with 5043 is a Jeep shifter that looks completely different from the diagram picture.

I got all my part numbers and info from a copy of the '04 (maybe '05?) Hurst online catalog, and the current ('09) catalog.

Diagram.jpg

Long story short, so long as you match the installation kit for the shifter with your current trans, you could fit any of the traditional 4-speeds (Saginaw/T-10/Super T-10/Muncie) in a G-Body without linkage issues :D

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doober said:
So I'm going to need either a)a rebuild on my current shifter, or b)a replacement shifter for the 'Bu before it's driven regularly. I finally decided to look a little further into the shifter body issue because I never knew for sure if my current shifter was the original for the car.
Long story short, so long as you match the installation kit for the shifter with your current trans, you could fit any of the traditional 4-speeds (Saginaw/T-10/Super T-10/Muncie) in a G-Body without linkage issues :D

G-bodies never had Hurst shifters, so it can't be original. FYI, the factory shifter has a tubular stick.

The info about using any Hurst shifter with the proper install kit is what I was trying to say in speedkills80's post you replied to.

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I just noticed this post :oops:

I'd been up for a long time when I was posting all this, so I don't remember a lot of it in detail :lol: I think my intention was for the Hurst shifter that is made to fit the G-Bodies. I do have the 3-speed Saginaw still that has a round stick like you mention, and it's that push-in style on the shifter body, not the bolt-on like the aftermarket Hurst shifters. My dad went & put the new shifter body on the car already without me :( He said it shifts like it's supposed to now, so it'll be nice to give a shot at driving it if the snow isn't flying when we're up there around Christmastime.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Doober,
Yep pretty much a Hurst shifter is a Hurst shifter,basically the only difference I've ever found is the handle between OEM or aftermarket performance, of course different brackets and linkages for different applications,come to think of it I have had a couple Competition Plus'
that had a special handle bracket that would line up with the factory console situation.

Hey Tommy,
Sorry to get too technical but tubular would not be correct for the OEM handles as they are solid,round would be correct,they are my favorite as they're different! Later,KillerDave

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The lower part of the F body handle is angled toward the passenger, but the bend in the middle brings it back towards the driver. This allowed it to exit the center of the console (IMO).

I don't think the ball will be in much of a different place than with the Malibu handle.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Ah-HA!

Different shifter bodies are used for '70-'73 and '74-'81 F-Bodies, requiring different sticks. '74-'81 actually uses the same as a G-Body, and the '70-'73 models move the shifter ball over 1.18" further than the 1" for a G-Body stick. They are measured from the centerline of the mounting point of the stick as well.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts