Help with starting system

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
Check to see if you're getting power at the starter through the purple wire when you turn the key to the start position. If not work back to the neutral safety switch and see if you get power there when turning key to start.

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
This is a total noob question, but how do I properly check the purple wire with the key in start? Do I use the voltmeter (with volts selected) and check from the purple to ground or positive?

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
1978_Andy_Project said:
This is a total noob question, but how do I properly check the purple wire with the key in start? Do I use the voltmeter (with volts selected) and check from the purple to ground or positive?
You can use a meter, or just a simple test light. One side to ground, the other to the purple wire. You don't even have to unhook the wire, just touch the end.
(it doesn't matter what side is on ground, as long as power flows through the light)

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
A meter is more detailed.

Last edited by a moderator:

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
I'm working nights all weekend, not gonna be much time for troubleshooting.... Thanks for the tips/links and I'll post back when I've had a chance to get out there...

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Checked with meter from bat ground to purple connection on starter solenoid and get nothing...? Checked to make sure column shifter was fully in park, tried again and still got nothing. I've been trying to look up the neutral safety switch for a 79 Malibu and keep seeing that there isn't one. On the starter system wiring diagram it just shows a note about auto trans and a "Mechanical Block" that prevents starting except in "N" or "P". So no actual switch??? Where should my next check be? The actual ignition switch? I know power is going to the switch because the turn sigs won't work unless the key is in "Run". Is that already telling me the "Start" portion of the ignition switch is bad?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The auto transmission cars don't have a NSS. There's just a jumper between the connector on the purple solenoid wire and the ignition switch. IIRC, it's up under the dash somewhere around the steering column.

Tommy

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Thanks Tommy! I will try to check into this when I'm off Monday, maybe my previous owner pulled a wire down there to use a push button start??

I would do some tinkering when I get up today, but I'll be hanging with my boys until I go to work. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the Dad's on here, and everybody have a great/safe day!!!! =D>

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Hey guys! Well, I had a bad ignition switch. After pulling the wheel & lock plate, swapping the cylinder for a new one, dropping the column and swapping the switch, she actually turns over!!!!!! dancin_banana.gif \:D/ =D> My son and I almost freaked out!!! They didn't make that very easy to get to, but at least now I know how to do it. Still trying to get the turn signal nub to go back in right on the arm assembly.? Will turn on for right OK, but left makes it jump out of the guide. Tried bending the piece that attaches to the turn signal switch asssembly, but still kinda messed up? Any suggestions?? :-k

Thanks for all your help so far, next I need to mount the carb and see if it will actually start. See you guys in the next post!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts