Help, alternator grounded out?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doober said:
Drat. What about slow-blow type fuses?

Nope. They'll still pop the first time you engage the starter...

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Bah... I don't like that those were down by the starter to start with. I had one go out after one appeared to have rubbed or burned through the heat shield I was using next to the headers, and toasted a link. It was stuck on the side of the road and as a band-aid I ran them directly to the battery instead of the starter. I didn't use any links, but I didn't drive it very much after that. I'm concerned about the links burning up, then shorting to something else, like the header. I may put some fuses by the battery to protect against that though, it's better than just the links I figure.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You can't. The fuses will blow. Any time you put a fuse upstream of a fusible link or in series with one in the same main feeder circuit it will blow. Fusible links can't permanently short to ground. They just burn through & that's the end of it.
Fuses are designed to protect the circuit/load they feed. Fusible links prevent dead shorts or main circuit overloads from causing fires.

Tommy

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
get creative and use the new plug style fusible links that the newer cars use, and just run your wires from the battery

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts