Head Identification

jwelshdesign

Daily Driver
Sep 14, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
I am doing a rebuild on a engine but I don't know a lot of the specs so now would be a good time to get it sorted out. Trying to identify these heads. I cross referenced them against GM castings but had no luck. The use of adjustable guides leads me to believe they are aftermarket. When I google 305 I-058 I set world SR torquers. But I don't see any logo on the heads like the images show.

Any help would be appreciated...

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Those are indeed World Products S/R 305 heads, so I guess (I hope) your rebuilding a 305...

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It wouldn't by chance happen to be for the green machine you bought from Appsk8r would it?

jwelshdesign

Daily Driver
Sep 14, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
Tommy, I had to rebuild the bottom end which is a 385. So the heads are on a 385 with a mild cam.

Doober this is infact the combo from Appsk8rs car.

The bottom end was shot and needed to be freshened up. I didn't change anything on the combo this time around. Just putting everything back together as it was, with a freshening.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I honestly don't remember any performance spec's on Appsk8r's car, but generally using 305 heads on anything bigger than a 305 is considered to be unproductive at best. Even most aftermarket 305 heads. Those heads you have usually have 1.94/1.50 valves, so they don't flow enough to truly support much more than a 305. If you have the ones with 2.02/1.6 valves, the shrouding wit hthat teeny chamber is terrible...

Tommy

jwelshdesign

Daily Driver
Sep 14, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
Tommy, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing about the heads being for a 305. Also, the cam that is in the car is a old cam dynamics cam rated at 212/212... basically a towing cam.

I plan on running this combo (the one that came with the car) for this year only. My plan is to start assembling parts to build a real nice power plant. Hopefully the refreshed engine gets me though the summer enough to have some fun.

Thanks for helping know what I am working with.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
They aren't a bad alternative for stock replacement/open chamber/iron heads in mild applications I guess. I didn't think these heads required guide plates due to the size of the push rod holes cast into the head. He may have had to enlarged them or I'm missing something. I know there are many better choices out there. I got a good deal on a new set of S/R Torquer 67cc/2.02's way back when I was building my 383. No issues yet. I don't know that the claimed raised valve cover rails help prevent leaks all that much. I have to really keep an eye out for leaks at the lower/rear corners. Usually change gaskets every spring. To me, it looks and acts like the drain back holes are alittle smaller than they should be. I'm running a high volumn pump in this engine and that may be contributing to the occasional leak IDK.

Steve

jwelshdesign

Daily Driver
Sep 14, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
I'm sure they are greatly restricting airflow for the cubic inches the engine is. Something around a 200cc head would probably really wake this engine up and so would a nice 280 cam, but than we are talking about a total rebuild and changing this entire combo which would probably be a headache . I wanted to keep the car on a budget and enjoy it for now, unfortunately the bottom end needed freshening before I expected it to. So these heads will have to do for now. The combo ran pretty good so I am just going to leave it as it.

Meanwhile I will be working on a new combo, hopefully in the 500 HP or more mark.. this car deserves it!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts