G-body Steering Box woes

Stg1Regal

Weekend Racer
Mar 21, 2004
Eastern ,IN
www.cardomain.com
In my 82 Regal I put my 86 GN powersteering gear box, it runs off the pump of the 71 455.. works great to an extent.

I have recently been experincing that in a stright line while driving, i feel a loose spot in the steering while at center, seems to "catch" or engage 1" to 1.5" from center.. wich gives me 3" of a loose feel in the wheel.

So I thought replace the rag joint maybe thats bad, so I go all out, and just switch to the Jeep steering Shaft conversion. (BTW) I really like..

Nope... still there... so I find or discover one can adjust the load on the steering box to over come wear, 5/8" jamb nut and 3/16" allen on top of the box.

So I follow close what most of the internet info thats out there and adjust it.. yep now it "seems" tighter.. but still that "loose" spot at the top and bcause of the firmer feel its twicher.. so it seems when i wanna switch lanes, or manuver thru traffic, it very upredictable , you have to "saw" at the wheel.

Tried to adjust it back.. but no avail .....

Any ideas? thoughts....... it is a brand new suspension and tires, done in poly.

kinda heasitant about driving it again after a 4 hr round trip . it was fun
#-o #-o

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If it's twitchy, you may have it overadjusted. Sometimes when you back the adjuster off you need to lightly tap on the end of the shft with a soft hammer to get it to loosen back up. It may take a few tries to get it right. If that doesn't do it you need a new box. The worm gear is "apple cored". It's worn in the center, but not the ends. That comes for m a lot of highway miles.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts