front and rear backspace with B-body spindle swap?

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
I am going to purchase a set of 17" wheels for the bu and can't figure out what backspace to go with. The car currently has 15X8 with 4" backspacing on all 4 corners. The fronts stick out to the point of nearly rubbing the outer lip on the fender and the back are tucked in a little more than I would like. Any one have any ideas? I would like the fronts to be tucked just a little more than the back. I believe the b-body spindle moves the wheels out 5/8" is this correct? I didn't pay much attention to this while I was doing the swap. Any help would be appreciated, pics would be helpful also.

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
16x8 4.5in bs and 17x8.5 5in bs work well on the front of my car. I would guess 5in bs on a 8in rim would work too.

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
So, I am assuming you had no interference issues with 5" backspace then? What about rear spacing so that the fronts dont stick out further than the rear? 4.5" with 8" wheel?

Scoti

Amateur Racer
Jan 15, 2005
Dallas Tx
Autometer said:
Yeah, I ran 4.5 on the rear. I've tried out the 5" bs on the rear but was rubbing the caliper.
As in you have rear discs? This would/could possibly change the rear length vs. stock & needs to be considered.

For 8" wheels, 4.5 to 5" of BS up front & 4" BS out back for a stock width rear end sounds right. With the 5"BS, you could always add a spacer if it interferes w/anything (my guess is the front sway bar or a-arm lip might get buzzed) as the spacer will effectively reduce the BS. Ideally, spacer thickness should not exceed .250" if possible.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IIRC, Doug at GW told me the front track was increased 3/8" on each side, or 3/4" total. I have 235/60R 15's on stock Monte SS 15" x 8" alloys that fit nicecly. They look like they'd rub the outside edge of the tire, but Doug tells me with the negative camber built into his setup there won't be any problem. We'll see.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts