Floor shifter for automatic

383 malibu

Daily Driver
Jan 10, 2010
Anna, Ohio
What is the primary reason to going to a floor shifter. Is it so you can shift the car like a manual transmission on the street? Sorry for the dumb question I am new at this?

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I dont think it's a dumb question at all. I too, wonder if I should install a floor shifter. I installed a 700R4 last year and kept the column shifter. It works, and I can select all the gears, but it's just not as "Race Car" as a floor shifter. There are other obvious reasons for a floor shifter, manual valve body, better selection of gears for racing, etc. But for a daily driver that goes to the track 3 times a year, I feel that a column shift is fine.

It's all in what you need, and what your expectations are.

fatboy

Weekend Racer
Dec 8, 2009
Great Bend, Kansas
I apologize for stealing the thread but do you have headers with your column shifter? Can you go all the way to low on a 700r4? How did you do it? Got any pictures that you wouldn't mind sharing??

Thank alot! :D

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
All My toys have the shifter on the floor. I like to run my toys thought the gears and shift them manualy. OK heres what you do, Install a good shift kit then switch the shifter to the floor. Run the motor up in first gear to about 4800 to 5500 rpm(depending on the motor in the car) then shift in to second and when it hits second gear and the rear tires bark or better yet if the motor is strong enuff leaves a few feet of rubber dancin_banana.gif Thats cool. Now you can bang the gears with a column mounted shifter but its not the same IMO. Doug

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts