First 383 Build

Thumpr81

Jan 8, 2012
I have an 81 malibu 2 door and Im doing my first 383 build and lookin for any helpful tips. I have built a couple 350s before but never a 383. I have a 2 piece rear main 4 bolt 350 that im going to put an eagle rotating assembly with speed pro Hyper pistons 9.9 to 1 with 64cc heads. I have a victor jr intake and planning on running a set of AFR 195 heads. Not sure what i wanna do with a camshaft yet but im hoping to be putting 450hp to the crank. Does this sound like a reachable goal? Other than the clearance for the crankshaft is there anything major i should be concerned with? Any helpful tips or information is greatly appreciated

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It's very reachable, especially with those AFR heads. About 230º/236º at .050" will put you in the 450hp range. Also mock up the crank/rods/pistons (don't need the lifters, rings, etc.) with the timing set and cam to verify clearance.

BTW welcome :) What are your plans for the car?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
It is easily doable. I have a 355 with a 231/239 Lunati hydraulic roller with the AFR 195 65 cc heads. Mine is about 10.3-1. I don't think you need a Victor Jr., a performer RPM would be a better choice. You could use the air gap if you want. My personal opinion is to use forged pistons over the hypers. The biggest area to check is along the pan rail, and at the cam for clearance. You may need a small base circle cam, but this is not a big deal. Otherwise, the other thing to pay attention to is internal vs external balance. If you buy aftermarket cranks, you can have it internally balanced and use your 350 balancers and flexplate/flywheel.

Thumpr81

Jan 8, 2012
Thank you for the helpful information. It will help make my engine build a little easier. As for the car ive had if for 5 years now i take it to the local cruise ins try to hit the drag strip with it 4 or 5 times a year. I drive it as much as i can. Right now im running a 350 with vortec heads 650 holley dp and a 100 shot. It has th350 trans with a 2500 stall and the factory rear 3.73's and a posi unit. The best time i have run so far is was an 8.46 on spray at 86mph in the 1/8th. I have so much fun wrencing on it myself and doing all my own work.

CNC BLOCKS

Amateur Racer
Jun 12, 2005
NORTHEAST
WWW.CNCBLOCKSNORTHEAST.COM
Shouldn't run hypers on your build and on theose heads I have found the single pattern cam works the best as the exhaust flow real good and running a big split will hurt torque and HP.

Check with Tony Mamao at AFR he will verify what am talking about.

Here is a build I did a few years ago.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106715

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts