F41 and aftermarket bracing diagrams (pics added)

Sd2369

Mar 8, 2012
.58 wall moly tube .750 dia very stiff and light. Weld on some bungs and hime joints then they could be tensioned.

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
The Sticks... Tewksbury MA
posting my pics in here as well

jounce bars, 36mm swaybar and end links
DSCN2185.jpg

new braces... just need the fender to radiator support ones
DSCN2187.jpg

heres where they mount to the cowl if anyone is curious. theres a dimple in the metal where to drill
DSCN2188.jpg

in this picture, you can see i drilled in the wrong spot #-o the dimple is clearly visible just below the windshield wiper clip
DSCN2189.jpg

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
DSCN2237.jpg

DSCN2238.jpg

got the braces in the other day, and lucked out. at Lowes they have a drawer with auto clips, so i was able to get new clips for all the fasteners. they only modification i had to do was to bend the bars to clear the fender to cowl braces.

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
scored a grand prix bar out of the local junk yard, cleaned it up, painted it and installed it. the only downside is it was never designed to work with the jounce bars, it was one or the other on a car, so i had to bolt this on top of the other one.

IMG_3638.jpg

here you can see how i had to mount it. but now, the wagon has EVERY factory brace. (except the GNX stuff)

IMG_5923.jpg

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
Doober said:
I want to do that with mine, I have both lower front bars too.

order a 2" long 1/2x13 bolt, fully threaded so you have enough room to get the nylock nut on. thats what i ended up doing.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Do you have a before/after result of the braces in the engine compartment? One of my triangulating bars got bent somehow while on the '81, I think I may have clipped a 'coon or something... I have a feeling in the future I may just make my own after realizing how thin-walled the factory braces are.

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
no before/after results, just the seat of the pants feel. with all the parts on there now, i can go around corners much faster!

1Gary

Amateur Racer
May 8, 2013
Roch,NY
Is solid body mounts on a stock framed drag only car a bad idea??. Seems on Malibu's given this thread the cars suffer from flex. I am guessing the wheel standing G body cars all have to have the bracing. How bad is the stock frame flex??.

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
Gary, I don't know anyone who adds all these braces and such (extra weight) to a drag car. This is more oriented toward a car built for corner carving. These cars will twist at launch with enough power, but some sort of anti-roll in the rear will cure that. At the very least, you can put an airbag in the right rear spring and it will help some. If you are concerned about the strength of the frame, you could weld in a roll cage. There is not any huge reason to be adding bracing all over the front of the car though for drag racing a high 11 second car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts