Elco #5 “El Rod”

El Rod

Dec 10, 2021
Clinton Ok
Hello all.
I’m working on my ‘84 El Camino.
I am installing a LS1 with a 4l60e.
I’m looking for information on the lower radiator hose and any ideas for the upper radiator hose other than the stock one.
Also trying to figure out how the spare tire fastens with the “seat belt “. I only have the buckle side, and don’t see where the other side mounts. Any help or pictures is appreciated. Thanks

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Hi El Rod, welcome from Idaho. Glad you are here. I'll get a picture of the spare tire seat belt from my 78. It's very cool how you are upgrading your 84 El Camino. I don't have any experience to help you with that stuff. Have fun with your 84 El Camino.

El Rod

Dec 10, 2021
Clinton Ok
Hi El Rod, welcome from Idaho. Glad you are here. I'll get a picture of the spare tire seat belt from my 78. It's very cool how you are upgrading your 84 El Camino. I don't have any experience to help you with that stuff. Have fun with your 84 El Camino.
Hello Idaho
Thanks for your help.
I had a 80 SS several years ago, but memory has failed me about the way the spare fastened in.
Working on this one as a project.
E982B72D-7F77-4D38-A9CD-D205A284F65A.jpeg

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
You have a nice looking 84 El Camino project. I understand memory situation, I don't have alheimers,I have someheimers. Are those Centerline wheels? Here is a picture of the spare tire belt attachment in the top of the smuggler box. Have fun with your El Camino project.
IMG_20211211_084930556.jpg

El Rod

Dec 10, 2021
Clinton Ok
You have a nice looking 84 El Camino project. I understand memory situation, I don't have alheimers,I have someheimers. Are those Centerline wheels? Here is a picture of the spare tire belt attachment in the top of the smuggler box. Have fun with your El Camino project. View attachment 11270
Yes they are center line. 😊. Thanks for the pic.
I am excited to get this Elco on the road. I’ve been working on it for 8 months and still have several things to button up. I have the digital dash installed. I’m attempting to get the cruise control from the donor truck wired in. Interior is another task. It should be a fun ride when I finish it.

Reactions: 78elk

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Very cool. I have Centerline chrome wheels on the 78 Elk also. I'm having an issue with getting the spare tire in the smuggler box. I've been looking to see if I could find a 15x4 centerline wheel for the spare. It's very cool what you are doing with your 84 El Camino. My son was given a 73 El Camino by his grandad. He rebuilt the 350 ci engine in high school. The 73 was rusting out pretty bad. So he went to a farm sale and bought the 78 and put the engine in the 78. So it's my project since 2003. I replaced metal and had it repainted. We also redid the interior.
IMG_20200807_105433737_HDR.jpg

El Rod

Dec 10, 2021
Clinton Ok
View attachment 11272 View attachment 11272 View attachment 11272 Very cool. I have Centerline chrome wheels on the 78 Elk also. I'm having an issue with getting the spare tire in the smuggler box. I've been looking to see if I could find a 15x4 centerline wheel for the spare. It's very cool what you are doing with your 84 El Camino. My son was given a 73 El Camino by his grandad. He rebuilt the 350 ci engine in high school. The 73 was rusting out pretty bad. So he went to a farm sale and bought the 78 and put the engine in the 78. So it's my project since 2003. I replaced metal and had it repainted. We also redid the interior.
Nice Elco!! Is it a black knight?
I’m trying to find the OEM upholstery style for mine, but, the style I have is not really popular. The vendor I have contacted said they are not OEM, and I am not sure about interior color. The build tag on the cowl has been removed. It is a dark red or maroon and there’s so many shades.
But it is a project so I will eventually get it. View attachment 11272

El Rod

Dec 10, 2021
Clinton Ok
View attachment 11272 View attachment 11272 View attachment 11272 Very cool. I have Centerline chrome wheels on the 78 Elk also. I'm having an issue with getting the spare tire in the smuggler box. I've been looking to see if I could find a 15x4 centerline wheel for the spare. It's very cool what you are doing with your 84 El Camino. My son was given a 73 El Camino by his grandad. He rebuilt the 350 ci engine in high school. The 73 was rusting out pretty bad. So he went to a farm sale and bought the 78 and put the engine in the 78. So it's my project since 2003. I replaced metal and had it repainted. We also redid the interior.
Nice Elco!! Is it a black knight?
I’m trying to find the OEM upholstery style for mine, but, the style I have is not really popular. The vendor I have contacted said they are not OEM, and I am not sure about interior color. The build tag on the cowl has been removed. It is a dark red or maroon and there’s so many shades.
But it is a project so I will eventually get it. View attachment 11272

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
No, it's a clone. This is my first car project. You might check with Stock Interiors, they have great product lines. They will send you actual cloth samples to choose the colors you want. That's where we got our carpet from. We bought seat covers from J Whitney. They sent the wrong ones and told us to send 1 back. My , then took the seat cover we had and make door panel covers, visor covers, and headrest covers. I seen a vinyl cloth where she was shopping, which we used for the top of the door panels, visors, and some for the headrest.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts