Dummy lights to Needles...help.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Im swapping my dummy lights (volts, temp, oil, gas) with a stock gauge cluster from another Pontiac with needles. I'm guessing I need another new oil sending unit meant for a gauge, not a light, but what about the other two. Is it relatively the same thing? Or is there more to this than I'm thinking. Thanks.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I heard that going from no gauges to gauges the wiring harness is needed.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You will need a sending unit for the temperature as well. You may need to do some re-pinning of your cluster to get everything to work though.
Take a look at the dummy lights-to-gauges page on this site, may help a little bit, but having two separate connectors for the gauges may prove different than the Malibu/Monte clusters.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
It is the same exact thing (I believe). I haven't seen the back of it yet but I will check first. Shouldn't it just bolt in and get the same signals from each pin the same way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTIAC-GRAND-PRIX-LJ-OIL-FUEL-TEMP-VOLT-GUAGE-1981_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem310116784756QQitemZ310116784756QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thats exactly what I have in my car but they are just lights (except the fuel)

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Hmm. Guess I'll be having more fun with this than I thought.

Once the wiring is all correct or whatever. What/where are the sending units that need to be replaced (temp and volts).

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
You will need more that just the gauges and senders. The plastic part of the idiot light dashes are different from the gauge dash. Behind the idiot light is a hole for the bulb holder. Behind the guage are two or three clips to make contact with the bolts that stick out of the guage. If you have the bare gauges, you will also need to get the part of the dash that holds the gauges. Plus you need the printed circuit that connects the gauges.

Scot

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts