Driveshaft length for 700r4 swap

A

Anonymous

Can someone please tell me how long the driveshaft should be when swapping
a 700r4 into an 85 Grand Prix. I measured where the way the shop told me to
and it still is to long. Thanks for any help. curse_sign.gif

A

Anonymous

Yup the rear suspension was loaded but the front wasn't that wouldn't matter would it ?

A

Anonymous

By an inch, i was going back to have it recut but I was wondering if anyone had the measurement
from another project. Is 388 the size of the motor in your car if so how does it run, asking because
that is what i'm building to put in the car next year. If you don't mind which head, compression and
cam are you running.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
I wouldnt be too much stock into someone else's measurement for a driveshaft. Just makes me nervous is all. Lets just say id never get one made up based on what worked for someone else even if its the same combo, etc.

Yeah, mines a .060 over 3.75" stroke 350. Best time was a 12.35 @ 110.86 with a 1.85 60 foot. That was with the automatic and no stall converter. Comp cams 280 HR roller, 190 AFR's and about 9.5 compression, RPM air gap and a 650 demon.

Obviously it had a bit more in it down low. Id say it could have broke into the 11's with the right air and a converter.

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
IIRC the stock driveshaft is 51.5" and the driveshaft behind my 700 is 48.5". Would make sense since the 700 is 3" longer than a 350.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
At least it isn't too short....saves you paying for another tube.

Elky 83

Daily Driver
Apr 4, 2008
Yeah I had one that was to short.....and no matter how many times I cut it , it was still to short.....lol :x

metaldude2002

Daily Driver
Aug 15, 2008
Grand Ledge, MI
When I put my 700r4 in my malibu I had the shaft shortened 3" and it work put I notice that it's a little tighter then I'd like, under like a hard scwat the shaft is kinda pinned in as normal driving/ ride height puts the shaft into the transmission more then it did with the 350 turbo, if I were to do it again I would go 3.5" instead of 3, but that's my opinion.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts