DO YOU THINK MY INTERIOR IS TOO FAR GONE?

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
Got my whole interior cleaned up and ready to take it to the interior shop to see what can be restored and what has to be replaced.

photo-37.jpg

But this is the type of flaking I saw on a lot of panels. Do you think it's restorable or too far gone?

photo-46.jpg

photo-40.jpg

photo-39.jpg

photo-38.jpg

Thank you.

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
It looks like it was painted at one point. I would think after it was thoroughly cleaned and the old stuff removed it would be fine. I know my 78 had a whole lot worse than that, no saving it....

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
It doesn't look that bad. Mine was ALOT worse but I saved them. What I did was first to sand every bit of the dry rotted crap off then I plastic preped them. Gave 3-4 coats of high build primer. Sanded that smooth and than painted with SEM color. Now they dont have the grain in them anymore but they look great. I contemplated going with a texture coat before color but didn't.

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
It will be fine. I have restore worse than that over the yrs. Just need a good cleaning and repainted and your good to go.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
I think SEM actually makes a texture paint to re-texture those panels.....personally if they aren't too rotten I use a sandblaster with super fine sand and gently blast the rotten stuff off....it leaves some texture that way...plus it'll get all the old paint off lol

if there are no holes you should be fine though

henrylarry6

Dec 28, 2011
Yeah! I agree that it doesn’t look that much bad but still looks bad and that’s enough. Please remove the previous stuff and redo.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It doesn't look awful bad to me, I still have my own to tear out and redo though :roll: I've read some people say you can scrub with some soap and a scotchbrite pad as well... I'll probably be trying this method myself, and just dying everything black.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts