Control Arm Shims

superChevy

Daily Driver
Aug 27, 2010
Schenectady NY
Hey guys, I took my whole front suspension off the car for various reasons, paint and powdercoat, and replacing all bushings, shocks, springs, etc.... my question is, how do you know how to get your alignment close when replacing, and reassembling everything? My main concern is the control arm shims. I had them setting on my frame when I took them off and was going to put them in my toolbox taped together, but before I could do that, the vibration from my 3/8 drive impact gun on another part, rattled them all off, and now theyre not grouped together.....they scattered.... So I need to know what to do. I have a parts car, can I just copy that to get it in the ball park then get it aligned when its back together? Thanks for the help!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You really can't copy another car. They're all different. If you're not driving it, just eyeball it & have it towed in when you finally get the alignment done.

Tommy

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Very true, LS6Tommy, but I looked at my 2 Malibus in my garage, and both of them have 3 shims on the front position, and 2 shims on the rear position. Call it coincidence?? Kinda weird :)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
malicad said:
Very true, LS6Tommy, but I looked at my 2 Malibus in my garage, and both of them have 3 shims on the front position, and 2 shims on the rear position. Call it coincidence?? Kinda weird :)

Welllll, I guess that may be a good starting point...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts