Closure of 8.8 Ford axle swaps

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
prairiehotrodder said:
A nine inch could be done relatively cheap for someone with a good shop and skills. I thought about building one cheap but i came to a dead end with shortening and re-splining the stock axles. The 8.8 can take some abuse and they are cheap and easy to find. Still need to convert the wheel bolt pattern though and i'm not sure on their width. I think that by the time you did a 8.8 right, you could probably do a GN 8.5 for the same price or close to it. Just depends on what you pay for the core.

I have an 8.8 in a mustang with a BBC. Its got the JY aerostar 5 lug axles. Everytime i hit the throttle i expect one to break. I've run 12.04 at 111 mph with slicks but thats probably pushing my luck. The axle that spent its whole life in an aerostar turning one direction then swapped into my mustang turning the opposite direction will be the one that breaks. They don't like being un-twisted!
Plus they are just 28 spline!
Brian

Thats why I pulled one out of a ranger...it keeps the rotation the same anyways.

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
TheGreenBean said:
I to want to know all dos and donts, I can purchase a 8.8 fox rear with brand new 4.10 gears already installed for 200 bucks complete.
I just broke all of my pinion and ring gear teeth off of my 7.5. I just dont want to have a ton of money into this rear when I can purchase a drop in 9". If I can get it done under 500 I think it is a no brainer.

Just sayn

read...

Last edited by a moderator:

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Blue Knight said:
prairiehotrodder said:
A nine inch could be done relatively cheap for someone with a good shop and skills. I thought about building one cheap but i came to a dead end with shortening and re-splining the stock axles. The 8.8 can take some abuse and they are cheap and easy to find. Still need to convert the wheel bolt pattern though and i'm not sure on their width. I think that by the time you did a 8.8 right, you could probably do a GN 8.5 for the same price or close to it. Just depends on what you pay for the core.

I have an 8.8 in a mustang with a BBC. Its got the JY aerostar 5 lug axles. Everytime i hit the throttle i expect one to break. I've run 12.04 at 111 mph with slicks but thats probably pushing my luck. The axle that spent its whole life in an aerostar turning one direction then swapped into my mustang turning the opposite direction will be the one that breaks. They don't like being un-twisted!
Plus they are just 28 spline!
Brian

Thats why I pulled one out of a ranger...it keeps the rotation the same anyways.

is the axle swap just to get the 5 lug axles?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts