Center oiled flat tappet lifters

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Kingrat said:
rs regal said:
sounds like a good idea, but a lifter is crowned in the center. the hole is in the center where it sees the most load... do you want a hole at that point? crower sells them with the same hole, but it is off center a bit.... sounds like a much beter way to go to me........buy the way, i put 10 nights on a set of howards in a c/t motor. 2 of them show a lot of wear, the cam looks good but lifers are junk. not sure if it was a hardness issue or what.... i got talked into tring them, i wish i knew about the crowers before hand

actually, i thought they took most of the pressure around the outside of the lifter and not in the center, because the lobes are tapered also, also what motor oil were you running?

i helped a friend of mine rebuild a "cam eater" that ate 3 hydraulic cams while running mobil1...hes since switched to the isky 202SO lifters with the oriface and a comp XS cam, forget which particular grind...also switched to rotella T oil and he hasnt had a problem since and hes at double the previous mileage its gotten from hydraulic cams

i would probably run rotella T or delo 400 for a driver, unless you want to get into race oil for the last ounce of performance..just make sure they dont skimp on the ZDDP for a flat tappet engine like most current SM rated oils

Mobil1 in a flat tappet'ed engine....that' a disaster waiting to happen for sure! I'm a sucker for Pennzoil but will start looking more into other oild´s that still have the right lubricants for flat tappets if i use one.
By the way..you make a good point of the tapered lobes not touching the centre or the lifter in the way i was thinking! -After all...they still pull the cam backwards to keep it in the block ;)
Wow. This is not getting easier to choose. Oh well...i think i have enough time to make the right decision.

Thanks guys!

rs regal

Amateur Racer
Nov 5, 2004
on the oil you are right, the new standards for oil do not apply to the heavy truck oils. others have said it is the way to go if not running racing oil. i use it for breaking in new motors(cams) then switch to a racing oil.

on the lifter issuse, the crown takes the abuse. the common way to check a lifter for wear is to check the crown....if no crown is there, its life is over.

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
i run rotella in my flat tappet motors, and a bottle of comp cams break in lube goes in everytime its changed.

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
Rotellia foams up in my motor...

so i run Advanced Auto cheap stuff, lol

A

Anonymous

malibuguy said:

:roll: You run that sh*t, but then was shady about running a quart of transmission fluid in your oil between oil changes.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
79Malibu406 said:
malibuguy said:

:roll: You run that sh*t, but then was shady about running a quart of transmission fluid in your oil between oil changes.

To clean out the drainback in the engine i guess? I usually change the oil and run the engine a little with the old filter and then change oiil/filter...works but costs a lot. Maybe i should start to poor some ATF in there too?(in the volvo...not the expensive turbo mill i will build)

A

Anonymous

ATF actually keeps everything cleaned up and the rings moving. The S10 i drive to work when i first got it, it had sit for 2 years, i flushed the motor thoroughly with kerosene, then when i added new oil i dropped 3 quarts of ATF and 2 quarts of oil into because it smoked on cold starts and when you first took off, now after about 1000 miles driven it doesnt smoke a lick. I wouldnt recommend it being added to big HP motors, i myself though poor a quart in every change in the 406.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
79Malibu406 said:
ATF actually keeps everything cleaned up and the rings moving. The S10 i drive to work when i first got it, it had sit for 2 years, i flushed the motor thoroughly with kerosene, then when i added new oil i dropped 3 quarts of ATF and 2 quarts of oil into because it smoked on cold starts and when you first took off, now after about 1000 miles driven it doesnt smoke a lick. I wouldnt recommend it being added to big HP motors, i myself though poor a quart in every change in the 406.

Hehehehe the old dealership trick to stop bad start-up smoke :lol:

I could see myself pour half a quart of atf in the volvo since it probably would run as usual with butter in the oilpan...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts