Camaro 1LE Caliper Brackets on GBody

A

Anonymous

Got it. If the hat is larger, that would presumably make the track width wider. Errrr.
:?

I may just hit the junk yard and figure out some options. Presuming I can feel my fingers in the cold.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what I find.

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
If the hat is larger, that would presumably make the track width wider. Errrr.

Yes your track width will increase. Without any change in front susp geometry (tall spindle, tall balljoints) tire rubbing would be an issue.
The inner bearings are the same, the outer bearings are different.

True the outers are different but the outer bearings do have the same id. This is a pic I just took of a g-body rotor (obviously cut off) on a b-body spindle. With the castle nut snugged the cotter key lines up in the correct spot. I would think a b-body/1le rotor would fit on a g-body except for the possibilty of rotor to spindle interferance.

017.jpg

CanonFodder this swap you could possible look into. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38400

malibudave1978

Amateur Racer
Jun 8, 2004
Houston, TX
Since this thread was started, I have wanted to know for sure if the 12” B-body rotor (aka 12" 1LE rotor with different bolt pattern) will bolt up to a g-body spindle. I purchased a 2000 and up S10 spindle (same as the 1980 and up g-body) off of Ebay for a good price. Years ago I bought a pair of B-body spindles, rotors, and calipers to do the big brake conversion to my 1978 Malibu. I did not get around to doing the conversion, so I unbolted the B-body caliper and rotor from the B-body spindle and fitted the B-body 12” rotor to the S10 spindle. To get the rotor the fit with no interference, I had to cut the caliper ears off the S10 spindle.

The good news is that the 12” rotor bolts up to the S10 spindle using the B-body wheel bearings from the B-body spindle. The bad news is that there is no room to mount the caliper bracket for the 1LE calipers. There is about a ¼” space between the face of the B-body rotor and where you would mount the 1LE caliper bracket.

HPIM0196.jpg

HPIM0198.jpg

Why is there interference on a G-body spindle and not the third generation F-body spindle even though the F-bodies use the same rotor and caliper as the G-body? It seems that the F-body spindle dust shield mounts are farther away from the rotor than a G-body, and that is where the 1LE caliper brackets are bolted to.

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
malibudave1978 said:
Why is there interference on a G-body spindle and not the third generation F-body spindle even though the F-bodies use the same rotor and caliper as the G-body? It seems that the F-body spindle dust shield mounts are farther away from the rotor than a G-body, and that is where the 1LE caliper brackets are bolted to.

Dave your link doesnt work. #-o Looking at the conversion on thirdgen.org I wonder if the bracket and bolts would actually fit inside the back of the rotor?

rightassys.jpg

A

Anonymous

That seems really odd. I know the Camaro spindles are different due to the strut setup, but the brake area should be the same. Does the Camaro caliper bracket mount on the outside or inside of the spindle?

malibudave1978

Amateur Racer
Jun 8, 2004
Houston, TX
Sorry about the link. I will try to repost a link that works.

From what I can tell is that the dust shield bolt holes are in different locations between the G-body spindle and the third generation F-body spindle. The F-body spindle must locate the dust shield bolt holes closer to the spindle centerline from looking at the pictures that were posted by dwkohout. The bolts must tuck inside the “hub” area of the rotor. When I bolted up the B-body 12” rotor to the G-body (S10) spindle, the dust bolt holts where about ¼” away from the rotor surface (the part of the rotor that the pads press against). The dust shield bolt hole that is located at the top of the G-body (S10) spindle toward the upper ball joint is blind tapped (ie. Does not go all the way through the spindle). The dust shield bolt hole that is located at the rear of the G-body (S10) spindle has a hole that is open to the backside of the spindle.

HPIM0190.jpg

Ole yeller

Amateur Racer
Jun 10, 2008
San Leon TX
Tony_SS said:
I have a guy fit LS1 brakes on a g-body spindle.... I don't know why alot more people don't go this route... no bumpsteer or tracking issues.
what is involed in this swap.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts