BFG Drag Radial ?'s

DennyPett

Frequent Racer
Apr 3, 2004
Spring Hill, Tennessee
OK, I know HOT ROD did an article sometime back on the BFG Drag Radials, testing at diff. tires pressures, short and long burnouts etc and remember them noting that the 1 tire they tested hooked better with about 20psi and a light "hazing" of the tires, I just dont remember which tire it was.....

What I would like to know is, those of you with experiance with these tires, what works for you. We are tuning a "Mean Street" 66 Nova and are having probs getting the car to hook... I think the guy is getting the tires too hot and not enough tire pressure, he's smokin the tires to about the 60' lights and runnin about 14psi. We rented Bowling Green the monday after the NHRA Hot Rod Renunion, made 3 full passes, then the track went to sh*t from heat, we managed a best of a 10.58 with a 1.44 60' spinning the tires. The car should and needs to be in the 10.20 zone and we have completely tweeked the suspension, so the problem is in the tires... AND we must run those tires since they sponser the Mean Street class...

Any suggestions or feed back woul be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
Denny P

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
You're probably thinking of the Nittos.

You're going to want pressure in the teens most likely, but higher than the 14 #'s you're running. Most guys I know running a 28x10.5 slick run their pressure higher than that.

Also, the more worn out they get, the better they're going to want to hook.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
When I ran 325/50 BFG's they worked well with 16 to 18 lbs of air on 9.5" rims with a short burnout.

With a 1.44 60' time, i doubt your really spinning much if at all. That 60's is pretty much in line with the ET. If a radial spins, it doesn't recover and is usually a 1.70 60' or slower.

Really good adjustable shocks are very important to being able to tune with a D/R tire...it's totally different setup compared to running bias ply slicks.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts