BATTERIES?

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
WHAT KIND OF BATTERIES ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING I HAVE A NEW STOCK BATTERY AND IT GOES DEAD EASY AND DOESNT SEEM GOOD ENOUGH TO START MY CAR ALL THE TIME WAS THINKING OF MAYBE A OPTIMA OR MAYBE JUST ONE WITH MORE CRANKING AMPS ANY SUGESTIONS

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
FWIW I have a yellow top Optima and it cranks up even at -20. I think it's a 725CCA. but that's with the stock 305 and compression so low it would probably run on kerosene!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Z-man said:
FWIW I have a yellow top Optima and it cranks up even at -20. I think it's a 725CCA. but that's with the stock 305 and compression so low it would probably run on kerosene!

Not to jump subjects, but you need MORE compression to run on Kero than on gasoline...

Anyway, back to our originally scheduled show...

crd89stang, does the battery go dead when the car sits, or from cranking a lot to start?

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
LS6 Tommy said:
Not to jump subjects, but you need MORE compression to run on Kero than on gasoline...

*thinks the same thing*

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
well it gos dead from sitting maybe for a couple months even if it is disconected but i also have a hard to no start when hot have tried 2 different starters new ground cables if i put the charger on it starts right up no slow cranking

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Any battery is going to go flat after sitting for a couple of months, even one that's not connected. Sounds like you have a weak battery & also need to run the car more often or get a Battery Tender.

http://batterytender.com/

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
LS6 Tommy said:
Any battery is going to go flat after sitting for a couple of months...

I'm going to have to disagree a little on this one (for once). Just from my experience. I have a (I believe it's an EverStart) battery from a junkyard that's been sitting in the Malibu since September, and it still had plenty of oomph to start the Malibu so I could move it. Ran for 5-10 minutes without a belt on, so it held its own against the ignition system :lol: My Sonoma also has a Die Hard Weatherhandler series. I've killed it a couple times (last week actually :lol:), and it sat from May 'til I started driving it again in September. Was a little low, but still had enough juice to start the truck. Not to say it doesn't hurt to have something like that Tender on a battery/car if it sits, but I've always jumped my cars if they've been sitting.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Not to change the subject even further, but your not suppose to use the alternator to charge a dead battery. It's only purpose in life is to replace the power the car is using while it running and what it used out of the battery while starting. Trust me, I know, Ive done it a million times myself too, But it does put a large strain on the alternator sitting usually at an idle trying to charge at full capacity that it can at that rpm-which isnt much.

My .02 cents is take the battery out and have it tested, Preferably NOT a load test, But one of the new battery testers that can actually tell how many cca's a battery has. Most car dealers must have them for warranty purposes and will do it for free if you ask them. Betcha its really low and you just need a new battery. If your battery is going dead even unhooked and was put away with a full charge, It's most likely at the end of it's usefull life.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
StreetBu said:
My .02 cents is take the battery out and have it tested, Preferably NOT a load test..........

Not to hijack the thread, but why is this? .....
.....cuz it's usually one of the tests routinely performed when a battery is 'checked'.
Thanks.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Most of the load testers are not as accurate as you would think. The little hand held 100 amp load testers only put a 100 amp load on for 10 seconds. While that is good, It doesnt actually tell you how the whole battery is, just the first 100 amps. Let's say you have a 750 cca amp battery, you load test it, It says good. Now you use the new style tester, and find out it actually only has 400 cca's total. Not that the battery wont start the engine, but when your trying to diagnose a hard start, weak battery, etc condition, you have a much better idea of whats going on.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts